GoPro mounting tips!

Wolfman1

I figured I would throw this out to the experts.  I have a GoPro Hero4 Session I got for a Christmas gift.  I have never used one of these before.  The camera came with a helmet mount and I just purchased a handlebar mount and a bag of extra adhesive mounts so I can get different perspectives.  I am pumped to use it this riding season and want to be sure it is ready for the first long ride.  What do you prefer, bike mount or helmet mount?  Where are the best locations to mount the camera on the helmet and the bike?  Also, I read that the camera will record while charging, so I would like to add an aux power cable and keep the camera plugged in so it can be charging while recording.  Of course that will depend on where it gets mounted.  Thoughts?

Helmet mount is about zero vibration. vibration can mess up the images. On the bike, staying close to the center line of the bike seems to reduce vibrations. Results will vary. I mounted mine dead center of handlebars. I put thin cork sheet cut to fit between the mount and the handlebars. I had a lot of rechargable batteries and SD cards. I don't use mine much anymore.

I tried sticking the GoPro to the front fender, and sure enough the first compression of the front forks knocked it off. A safety strap prevented it front hitting the ground.

I found that cheap digital pocket cameras that have the anti shake feature worked better for me. Not waterproof, but cheap.

I need to get a chest mount for this year. That angle is sweet.

Do you carry extra batteries or do you have it hardwired? How big is your SD card? How long do you usually run video for?

Edited by TimTheAzn

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

I've tried a few mounting options.

Bicycle Handlebar mount to crash cage:

Ram Mount To Steering Stem (Need a longer Ram Mount Arm):

Chest Mount (My favorite Mounting, Very Comfortable):

Thanks for the video!  I like all of these perspectives.  I looked at the chest mount kit and wondered if it would be high enough to see most of the road in front of the bike and not be blocked by the tank.  I hear a lot of good things on the Ram steering stem mount, I may look into that too.  My plan is to have a couple different mounting points, so I can move the camera around during a ride.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Wolfman1 said:

Thanks for the video!  I like all of these perspectives.  I looked at the chest mount kit and wondered if it would be high enough to see most of the road in front of the bike and not be blocked by the tank.  I hear a lot of good things on the Ram steering stem mount, I may look into that too.  My plan is to have a couple different mounting points, so I can move the camera around during a ride.

I have since adjusted my chest mount since the video, it sits up higher now. I really like Smatree products for gopro. Cheap, and their quality is nice. Here is the harness I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Smatree-Adjustable-Harness-Aluminum-Thumbscrew/dp/B00CU9YBVS?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

11 hours ago, Wolfman1 said:

I figured I would throw this out to the experts.  I have a GoPro Hero4 Session I got for a Christmas gift.  I have never used one of these before.  The camera came with a helmet mount and I just purchased a handlebar mount and a bag of extra adhesive mounts so I can get different perspectives.  I am pumped to use it this riding season and want to be sure it is ready for the first long ride.  What do you prefer, bike mount or helmet mount?  Where are the best locations to mount the camera on the helmet and the bike?  Also, I read that the camera will record while charging, so I would like to add an aux power cable and keep the camera plugged in so it can be charging while recording.  Of course that will depend on where it gets mounted.  Thoughts?

You will for sure need to power with cord, none of the cameras get the record time listed.  You will be lucky to get 1-1.5 out of it on battery.