300 Miles of Southern Ohio

trentwilson43056

I have to apologize for my cut short route report.I planned on an overnight trip but forgot my meds and had to go home.No meds and well we won't talk about that.Ok so's I leave Newark and head south on route 13 toward Athens where I'll pick up 33 down to the river.Except for dumping my bike in Glouster it was a pretty nice trip to the river where I pick up route 7.I'm sure most of you have been on route 7 along the river.It's pretty nice and scenic and eating a packed lunch along the river at a river park in Gallipolis is pretty cool.Gallipolis has some pretty cool buildings along the river.The next leg is continuing along 7 to Crown City where I pick up route 141 west and move away from the river for a little while over to route 141 to Ironton.There was a boat load of switchbacks and twisties along these routes that the map says is 18 miles.Just what do these people do for a living?They obviously have jobs.But where?Ok well the rain set in around Ironton where I pick up 52 over to Portsmouth and this is where I had to cut the trip short and head north on 23 in the rain to Circleville.Nothin like a straight wide flat road in the rain.After a coffee warm up at McD's in Circleville the rain quit and I jump on 22 east toward Lancaster.What a great ride that road is over to Lancaster and very little trafficNice little hills and easy curves and in my opinion was the most enjoyable part of the trip.Once I get to Lancaster I hop on 37 back to Buckeye Lake.Another very enjoyable route.Maybe because there's no rain and the sky is blue with so awsome clouds.Comming into buckeye Lake I pick up 79 back to Newark.All in all I figure about 290 miles.What a great ride.All routes were well maintained and in excellent conditionI originally planned to go over to Maysville Ky and spend the night there at a local campground but maybe next time.Oh and I'm thinkin' my insurance rates are going up next year when they make the repair estimate from my little spin out.Oh well..

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 05/09/2016 at 11:37 AM, Heagachongoose said:

Glad to hear you are fine.

I frequently ride 141, 775, and a few other roads in the area. I'm a local. Let me know next time you are in town and I'll show you the good stuff ;)

Very very nice area, quite far from Columbus however so I have only been there once, regretfully.  There are some top notch county roads down there if they are in good enough shape still.