Kz750 twin: a journey

Gixxus Christ!

This isn't a how to so much as it's a Chronicle of how to bring a bike back from the hellish torments of a non-mechanic. A week ago I traded a pistol to a forum member for his non running kz750 twin. He said he never really messed with it, didn't have time. Was happy to trade it for a running pistol and 20 Rds of hydroshock. 

Bike had no air box, instead had emgo pod filters, which are worse than nothing at all. After a few hours of the usual things you go through on an old non-runner I had it firing. I wish I had time to document everything right now but my lunch is over. 

More to come.

• Upvote 1

OK.... shit wrong with this bike so far:

(Note: this is not an indictment on two wheel, the member I got this puppy from, just an expose on what happens when people don't understand what they're doing. I don't think he even worked on it)

Bike was born with electronic ignition from what I understand. Cdi, hall effect pickup all that stuff. Someone shitcanned it all for points and condenser with centrifugal advance and two enormous automotive ignition coils. Omg, so kustom.

Air box deleted, cheap shitty pod filters clamped onto carbs. Not only were the carbs not jetted up, the pilot jets had plugs pressed into them. Idk wtf. Because the air box was gone, so was all the plumbing for the secondary air injection system, but the two spigots on the valve cover are still there, and get this, someone took the reed valves, that are supposed to let the pumped air in and keep exhaust gasses from escaping, were flipped so that hot exhaust gasses constantly bark out of the two little spigots. 

Petcock was completely borked. Vacuum deal, constantly on, bolt blocking the air hose. Bought a rebuild kit and dove in, the spring is missing that shuts the gas off in the absence of vacuum. petcock was in so bad of shape that it's not salvageable. Ordered replacement on Amazon. 

Turn signal relay and associated wiring is just gone. No idea why. Turn signals are still on the bike. 

So this is gonna be a tough row to hoe, but I'm stubborn as fuck so I figure by the middle of June I'll have a respectable bike. 

• Upvote 1

Got a set of uni pods coming today to replace the garbage emgo cones. Hoping that smooths out some of my induction issues. Really want to saw off the stock mufflers and fit a set of upswept reverse cones, but that's another $130 that I don't want to spend. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2016 at 3:15 PM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

... the reed valves, that are supposed to let the pumped air in and keep exhaust gasses from escaping, were flipped so that hot exhaust gasses constantly bark out of the two little spigots. ..

Somehow, I think this is quite humorous. Clearly indicates a certain level of mechanical ability.

OK, so more carburetor shenanigans....

Couldn't for the life of me get the damn diaphragm air tight on #2. Turns out my #2 choke plunger is both leaking air and not properly fixed to the choke shaft. This also explains my erratic idle. The chokes would randomly open and shut, dropping vacuum to the diagram and dumping fuel, raising my idle. I'd back the throttle stop out, eventually idle would fall, then the vibrations would let the choke seat again and boom, no gas,bike stalls. Looks like I need a 4 or 5 mm 'oh shit' clip and a spring to return the chokes to their rightful position. Also wired and installed the factory -ish coil and threw out the bubba set up. Once my petcock arrives I can run it from an actual tank and get it up for sale....oh and I gotta finish the block offs for the emissions things. Even with the reeds turned the right way they sound horrible. 

Update: 

Tried the balls from a zerk but they were too small kept binding up. Ended up sacrificing an old shitty ratchet to get the ball and spring from it. Perfect fit. Found some e clips at Napa and the new petcock came in yesterday. Also finished the block off plates for the emissions shit. Bike starts idles and revs nicely, haven't had opportunity to take it for a ride yet. Once I get the brakes in good shape it will be ready to sell if anyone is looking for either a great commuter bike or a good running core for a cafe or bobber project. 

• Upvote 2

Finally had time to ride it. Fun little bike. Decent amount of power, sounds good and most importantly even with pod filters it runs correctly. Pulls all the way to redline, can take full throttle in 4th gear at 2k Rpm and not bog or stutter. Needs a little stronger spring in the choke detent because it vibrates out sometimes and the clutch slips under hard shifting  but an adjustment and oil change should fix that. Also, paint is of the shitty rattle can variety and has zero clear coat. I discovered this when I dripped some gas on it, wiped it off and it removed paint.

Gonna get it painted mean green. Will list for $2k if anyone is interested. I figure with new pint, tires, fresh carbs, brakes etc it is worth that.