my 2003 jeep wrangler build thread

oldschoolsdime92

Yes, its not a motorcycle, but I thought some of you here may like to see the build progress of ol blue. 

This is going to be a mild TJ build. Its my family fun toy, and mild woods toy..

The build is going to consist of the following.
03 wrangler X.
4.0 5 speed
Bestop trektop NX(delivered a few days ago) 
dirtwerx bumpers(ordered)
old man emu 2 inch lift
winch of some sort(TBD)
new 31s of some sort( TBD)
4.0 to get rebuilt. Has a nasty intermittent lifter tick, and with 203k on the clock, seems silly to just replace lifters. 

Heres the ol girl..
34F88FCB-5C12-4EE8-AA30-3DA46DD84C25_zps

This past weekend, I did the full eastwood treatment on the frame. Internal frame , rust encapsulator on the outside, and topped it off with the chassis black. Hopefully this stuff holds up as well as everyone claims.

internal coating. Did two coats, using four cans. I think I could use one more coat.
4BE6BA2A-37FC-4B23-A739-588031B17116_zps

Heres the outside...

AEEE5B16-7980-4B28-8A4B-820E3C8E4712_zps

32599DA4-B59D-427F-BAAB-CF80248824AF_zps

8D80270C-72AF-44B6-B7EF-AA06365196E5_zps

=
Edited by Tonik
Fixed pics.

thanks for the edit tonik... 

75FC2477-BC72-480C-9EE5-3B7DF965E7B7_zps

soft top installed in safari mode...

17E1BC45-CC98-4E6C-A193-F58B8DF068C8_zps

rear windows installed

020240A7-8341-4C80-8078-BDACE7806C8F_zps

BA344DEA-1DA8-4B50-84F2-92605804D93B_zps

Bumpers should be here in the next week or so. I would be willing to make someone a great deal on my hard top. 

Edited by oldschoolsdime92
added more pics

That's a fabulous looking platform to work on, and the rust prevention you've done on the frame looks great as well. Nice job!

I've owned one TJ, but have built several, so please feel free to PM me if you've got any questions.

FYI: Here's the difference between 31" and 35" tires.

scan0013.jpg

This one was mine, two years of absolute trouble free fun!

scan0011.jpg

scan0012.jpg

Just a couple quick suggestions:

Keep the hard top for the winter. Trust me on this. It only takes thirty minutes to swap them.

Make sure to get the "heavy duty" OME lift if you're doing a winch and bumper, so the front sits level. OME is the only brand that I know of that labels each spring. RF, RR, LF, LR.

Forget 31" tires, do 33". Even if you have 3.07 gears, do 33" tires. Fuck fifth gear! Do a one inch body lift with the OME lift, and swap in a flat transfer case skid plate. You'll greatly increase your center ground clearance.

Your front drive shaft will most likely be fine(measure the slip spines), but you'll want a new double cardan rear drive shaft to handle the angle/reduce vibrations. While you're doing the drive shaft, do the slip yoke eliminator kit for the transfer case. Trust me on this. I broke my rear drive shaft in Kentucky, and without eliminating the slip yoke I'd not have been able to drive home. Because of it, I did. Front wheel drive baby!! Tom Woods is your friend on the drive shaft. You can even get crazy and do a two wheel low kit and 4 to 1 gear reduction kit in the transfer case while you've got it apart. It's cake to install!

Gears. Do you know what you've got now? Don't even consider a lockers unless you're changing gears. If you do change gears, absolutely do a locker in at least the rear. A jeep with a locker in the rear, with it's front drive shaft removed, is a better off road vehicle than a open diff "4WD" Jeep. I also know this from experience.

Do a front sway bar disconnect. Connected for the road, disconnect for off road. Huge difference in articulation/traction. See if JKS still makes their greasable one. That was the best back in the day.

Most of all, have fun!!!

Edited by BadTrainDriver

Looking good man!  Shoot me a price and some pics of your hard top.  

Read up on installing a locker on a D35 before you do.  I'll be installing a locker in my front D30 with chromoly shafts hopefully next winter.  I'll wait to get a D44 or 8.8 in the rear before installing a locker back there.

I'm not too sure how in-depth my wheeling is going to get. At this point, gravel roads, old logging roads, ect. If I do get serious about it, Lockers and SYE is an absolute must. 

When I order my lift, I'm also ordering the front disconnects. JKS appears to still make the greasable unit, best I can tell. As far as the 31s, thats mainly a convenience thing at this point. I test drove one on 33s and, getting the baby in and out of the car seat would be a nightmare. Its already a bit of a trick as it is :lol: As for selling the hardtop, Its never going to see snow again in my possession. Its strictly a summer fun vehicle, that we can take camping, and do some very mild wheeling with. A winch is going to happen, because well, sometimes shit happens and you need one. Been there, and stuck without. Its no fun. As my son gets a bit older, it may become more of an off-road toy and get more in-depth equipment, but until then, we are having a blast. =) Greatly appreciate the insight fellas, and will take anymore thoughts and input anyone has to offer! 

Whats everyones take on the OME products? The jeep forums rave about them, but your not getting much bang for your buck. Everything I've read says the ride is top notch, but I'd like to get some outside opinion. I don't mind spending the money for good stuff, but spending big money for junk , sucks.  Think of this build as a family fun toy, thats still drivable, if we decided to go a couple hundred miles to get to the camp site, and once we are there, we can play alittle. Not a fully built wheeling TJ. The name of the game with this build is reliability and drivability.

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

I've had OME leaf springs and shocks on a YJ, and I've ridden in several OME setups in TJs. There is not a better riding/articulating spring and shock combo made, AFAIC. The limiting factor is height. OME doesn't make much more that a 3" lift for the TJ. If I recall, springs and shock are what, about $800? Are you doing a rear shaft or dropping the transfer case skid plate? What about track bars? Lowering brackets?  Front brake hoses? Check those before you go dropping one side of the front diff. Make sure you won't pull them apart.

Memories of working on Jeeps... Good times!

7 hours ago, BadTrainDriver said:

I've had OME leaf springs and shocks on a YJ, and I've ridden in several OME setups in TJs. There is not a better riding/articulating spring and shock combo made, AFAIC. The limiting factor is height. OME doesn't make much more that a 3" lift for the TJ. If I recall, springs and shock are what, about $800? Are you doing a rear shaft or dropping the transfer case skid plate? What about track bars? Lowering brackets?  Front brake hoses? Check those before you go dropping one side of the front diff. Make sure you won't pull them apart.

Memories of working on Jeeps... Good times!

To get things going ,I planned to just use a Tcase drop. Lots of guys are claiming they didn't need a drop with the 2 inch lift(some jeeps do, some don't?)  As for track bars, I'd just planned to do the relocator brackets. With a 2 inch, the rear track bar seems to be the main offender, but not always.( why it wouldn't effect all jeeps the same, I have no idea) but it's said that it shifts the rear about 1/2 inch.. Sometimes. Brake lines, I just went ahead and factored those in, because even if you don't need them, it can't hurt to swap.  

The Complete OME kit is 866. I figured I'd order it, and the T case drop and brake lines, and that should keep me busy for awhile. 

http://www.morris4x4center.com/old-man-emu-2-heavy-load-suspension-lift-kit-with-nitrocharger-sport-shocks-ometjhks.html?gclid=CLKa5LzKhs0CFQ4zaQodabkPmw

That's a solid looking kit, and I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it!

Here is a picture of my 1990 YJ with OME leaf springs, shocks, and many other goodies. The flex on this this was unreal for a sprung under lift. The leaf springs would flex up past the point of flat!

scan0019.jpg

I've read tons of positive feed back on the OME kits.  IMHO, I'd drive it before you add the transfer case drop.  I think you should be fine with 2".  If nothing else, add a couple of fender washers in between the skid and the frame to drop it down as little as possible.  That's what I did, and it also creates a little space between them to keep clean and prevent the rust that always builds between the two.

By the way, I've got the Zone 4.25" combo lift, and did not need front brake lines, even when disco'd.  People rave about the Metal Cloak track bar, saying it's the best bang for the buck at $199.  I got a Steinjager that I am very happy with at the Dayton Off Road Expo for $150.

• 1 month later...

Little bit of an update. Bumpers are here. Also got a spare tire cover. Also added fresh rubber. The new tires made the jeep. At this point I don't think I'm going to lift. I think it will suit my needs as it sits nicely. 

Well a random impromtu update... Fresh rubber. 31x10.5 bfg ko2s. Found a good price on brand new tires at a local tire shop and couldn't pass them up 
0DBD7464-1669-40EE-BD27-B075ECF5B0EE_zps
Rubs rear flair just a tiny bit. Going to trim 1.75 off the flairs. Should clear things up.

6488C551-34BC-4FBF-AB0A-3F2F91765926_zps