I wanted a Speed Triple so badly that I bought a... Tiger???

waynesworld

I posted a while back about wanting a Speed Triple. I still do want one, but it looks like that will be a while because I came across a sweet deal on a Tiger, so it's mine. Well, it will be when I get the money to the guy and pick it up. 2005 Triumph Tiger 955i with matching side cases (dark green) and non-triumph top case, 17k miles, for $3,000. He has had it advertised on CL since early this year, first at 4k, then 3,500, and now at 3k. I would have bought it at 3,500 except it hasn't had the valve checks done at 12k miles. Most people say that the 12k valve check isn't necessary anyway, but it will definitely need the 24k done, and that is expensive. 

He let me ride it and it was all over. Compared to my Bonne, this thing is a freaking Cadillac. And the power, whoa the power. Such a sweet engine that triple is. 

So, unless someone wants to give me one, the Speedy will have to wait, but I'm not really bummed. This thing is pretty sweet. I didn't even think to take a pic, but I will post some pics eventually. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Nice choice.  Glad you went triple, they are sweet harmony between the twins and inlines

Thanks! BTW, I just returned to my thread on britriders to update. I went on vacation after I posted that and forgot about it. 

And I agree about the triple. Holy freakin' sweetness! I have long thought the Triumph triples seemed like the perfect engine for my needs/wants. Based on my 10 minute test ride, I think I may have been on to something :) 

13 minutes ago, waynesworld said:

Thanks! BTW, I just returned to my thread on britriders to update. I went on vacation after I posted that and forgot about it. 

And I agree about the triple. Holy freakin' sweetness! I have long thought the Triumph triples seemed like the perfect engine for my needs/wants. Based on my 10 minute test ride, I think I may have been on to something :) 

They are quite a combination of torque and power.  My Sprint is down almost 65hp from the ZX14 I traded on it, but it only lacks 12 lbft of torque.  The triple can pull pretty hard when you want it to, but it's a predictable and manageable power, plus it gets 10mpg more than my big Ninja did.  I'm happy with my choice as well.  Congrats again man

• Upvote 1