Brand new and getting ready to start BRC classes!

Roadskill

Hello! I'm getting ready to start BRC classes and I'm super stoked! I've been reading about all the types of gear available, and I'm wondering what I should have when I start classes.

Is it enough to have the basic boots, gloves and jacket, or is it wise to have armor and maybe something like a Roadcrafter suit?

Thanks, 

A complete and total newbie :)

For the classes the basics are fine if they are still taught the same as they were when I took the MSF classes. You barely go over 10 mph except maybe for the emergency braking drills. Gloves, boots, helmet at minimum. Sturdy jeans and jacket is a plus. Just don't show up in shorts and flip flops ;)

Welcome to OR!

Edited by ScubaCinci

20 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

For the classes the basics are fine if they are still taught the same as they were when I took the MSF classes. You barely go over 10 mph except maybe for the emergency braking drills. Gloves, boots, helmet at minimum. Sturdy jeans and jacket is a plus. Just don't show up in shorts a

35 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

For the classes the basics are fine if they are still taught the same as they were when I took the MSF classes. You barely go over 10 mph except maybe for the emergency braking drills. Gloves, boots, helmet at minimum. Sturdy jeans and jacket is a plus. Just don't show up in shorts and flip flops ;)

Welcome to OR!

Thanks! I'll leave the flip flops at home. (Darn. Painted my toenails for nothing XD )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Requirements for the BRC: Temps or motorcycle endorsement, long sturdy pants (no holes or yoga pants), full finger gloves (again, no holes), over the ankle sturdy footware, long sleeve shirt or jacket, a willingness to learn and have fun.  Helmets are available to borrow everywhere I coach if you don't have one.  Bring plenty of water and a snack, it gets hot on the range, especially with gear on.  

A Roadcrafter would be way overkill for this time of year, March or April maybe, but you'd likely bake now.  I wear my Roadcrafter jacket when it rains or the cold.  I do wear my AD1 pants at all times though because my legs don't get as hot.

Welcome to OR, get some miles in before the end of the year and come back for the Epic Ride in the spring!

Don't get discouraged. 

That is rule #1 for BRC. Especially if you don't have prior riding experience. 

It's not easy for everyone. I have seen people throw a leg over a bike and ride it home on public roads minutes later (my brother), and I have seen people take weeks of practice to become confident in simple clutch engagement (my wife). Both have their M endorsement.