SR 669 from 13 to 93 resurfacing

RCBS

Ride report from yesterday while making a quick shakedown run after a few mods.  SR669 is currently being repaved between 93 & 13.  Did not ride the section from 345 to 93, but the section from 345 to 13 is minty fresh without lines even.  Not a twisty road really, but has some nice roller coaster hills and a few nice bends.  Did not want to attempt the section to 93 due to it likely not being finished yet.  The southern section of 669 is much more exciting, but these two pieces are very close to home and are part of my quick local routes.  Now if they would just do 345 to get rid of the tar snakes...

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday it was all fresh and no edge lines still, with no further work beyond 93 & 13. 

I think 669 east of here (the best stretch) is much safer eastbound, just have to watch your speed over the crests of hills as they have apexes of curves at the crests of several blind rise hills. I hit one too fast once and lifted the weight from front tire off the pavement a bit too much at the combo crest/apex on one eastbound left hander and got a nice reality check.  Static sag is very critical to your suspension! I added a little more by backing off the preload slightly on the forks after that. I thought I had it set up great, but opted for more sag for those just in case moments when the road drops out from under you a lot 

Westbound once you get out of the forested section off of the river (where it has all of the oddly twisted/banked/off camber turns), I feel as if you get the more tricky end of the blind rises from the forested section and on westbound beyond where the merged  555 splits off south. I seldom hit it this direction, but the big blind rise hills seem to typically have more curving to the road immediately after the crest of the hill. No mishaps that I know of, but it gives me a very cautious feeling when I hot it this way. 

Best road in that immediate vicinity by far, just proceed overy the blind rises with caution.

• Upvote 1

669 is an odd one.  There are bits & pieces of it almost all the way back to New Lexington.  The southern section from 555 to the river is one of my local favorites.  The blind hills are what make it fun...though I mostly have it all committed to memory at this point.  It's what I call a "terrain" road, as in they didn't have means to overcome terrain when first used/made.  555 is also a terrain road.  I'm glad they didn't have the means to flatten & straighten everything out...most all the good riding in SEO are these type of roads in my opinion.

I rode 669 from 13 to 78 (then 78 to 33) on Saturday. Paving was all complete but they have to finish packing the shoulders with that glorious gravel. Most of that was done so they should finish the project this week. It really is a great ride. The short river run has no excitement unless you decide to test the top end out and don't pay attention to the sudden 90° turns. I do think it flows alot better from north to south but I'm cruising on my Roadking not kissing the handlebars on a crotch rocket. 

It's another really nice ride that my wife tells me how great the scenery is but I wouldn't know because I'm too busy paying attention so I don't make a mistake and kill us.