Clutch side of crankcase chipped

Renthalkx

I'm in the process of disassembling my motor (winter project, I know). I'm coming up on my valve clearance inspection so I figured why not. Anyways, the clutch cover would NOT come off! I beat it either a rubber mallet. I tried using wooden handles to get behind it and pry it off, but the handles just dug into the wood pretty much. I beat it some more with the mallet. The bottom comes loose enough that I could slide something in there and pry around the perimeter. I grab a decent sized flathead and gently pry at it. The bottom is coming off, but the top is still sealed. I unscrew the oil cap, reach in and pull as hard as I took. No luck. Extremely frustrated I force the flathead through and sure enough it comes apart, but now I have probably less than a millimeter under in the aluminum in two spots. 

If I get it resurfaced, will there still be enough clearance inside for the clutch and gears? Or will just using a little more sealant work? 

Also managed to do the same thing on one of the camshaft holders (think that's what they're called lol). Luckily it was just the part that gets bolted down and doesn't make contact with the cam. I literally pulled with all my strength and they wouldn't budge. The dowel pins look really crooked too on the clutch side so I think that's what may of been making it not want to budge.

FB_IMG_1471638992160.jpg

Edited by Renthalkx

Yea it doesn't look that bad, something similar happened to me on the front aluminum differential on my Tahoe. I sealed it with Anaerobic gasket maker and it's never leaked a drop.
Like IP said take another pic to show depth.

• Upvote 1

So this is at the top if I am seeing it correctly. Not going to be a problem, its only going to get splashed. Its not soaked all the time like the bottom is.

Add some gasket maker in that area and dont worry about it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I feel like an idiot about this, trust me. I just didnt think it through all the way when I grabbed the screwdriver. 

And yes, it's right at the top.

Also when I sand it, should I sand the entire surface to even everything out or just in that area? If I did the entire area, would there still be enough clearance inside for the cover to mate completely?