Dash Cams, WHo Uses Them?

ScubaCinci

I run my GoPro on the bike alot when I commute for use as evidence if something should happen and I know a number of you (@Scruit) do as well. As such, I've thought about doing a dash cam as well in the car. I have about a 1.5hr commute sothere's plenty of opportunity for something to happen.

I've been looking at some models and many seem very comparable but the Z-Edge Z3 seems to be a popular choice. Wondering what others are running and what they think?

The downside for me is I hate cables coming off the windshield and winding through the cabin. The console where it would plug into the 12v would have to stay open which offends my chi but can't be helped. I'm not interested in one that tracks GPS info...odds are good I'll be fracturing the speed limit if something does happen. No need to incriminate myself further  :D

I use a mini 0805 these days. Sticks to windshield with 3m tape so no need to worry about it falling off in the sun like a suction cup, or folding upwards in an accident like the 'dangling' cameras do.

I have GPS info but I don't put it on screen.  It is stored on the sd card with the video files.  Most of the time you will not need proof of your speed or location.  If you DO, then you can use the playback software to combine them again.

I run the cable up into the headlining, down the A-pillar (don't let it get in the way of the A-pillar airbag if you have one) and behind the dash.  I took the shifter surround off and access the back of the 12v/cig lighter socket, and I made a power tap from spade connectors, then mounted a separate 12v socket  behind the panel and put it back together.

Thanks for the info...I'm not even going to attempt to tear into my leased Mercedes but I have been trying to come up with some creative and non-permanent solutions. The cables are generally pretty log so I could at least do some routing to minimize the cable presence.

I am going to get an Innovv K1.  Looks to be a very good system.  I use a Sony action cam sometimes.  Bought it more for documentation than for a video record.  Lately though, I think it'd be a good idea to have a looping system to capture any accidents or shenannigans on.  The Innovv looked to be the best for what I am wanting.

http://www.innovv.com/#!the-k1/c3r6

1 hour ago, RCBS said:

I am going to get an Innovv K1.  Looks to be a very good system.  I use a Sony action cam sometimes.  Bought it more for documentation than for a video record.  Lately though, I think it'd be a good idea to have a looping system to capture any accidents or shenannigans on.  The Innovv looked to be the best for what I am wanting.

http://www.innovv.com/#!the-k1/c3r6

Awww man, when I first looked at that it looked like the camera units were wireless which would be awesome.

It actually looks really nice for the bike though...set it and forget it.

Edited by ScubaCinci
  • Upvote 1

On September 1, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Wojo72 said:

Can footage from your camera be used against you in court if you are in an accident?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You do not have to provide it if it incriminates you. Even if it is known you have it, you do not have to give it to anyone. 

On September 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM, ScubaCinci said:

I run my GoPro on the bike alot when I commute for use as evidence if something should happen and I know a number of you (@Scruit) do as well. As such, I've thought about doing a dash cam as well in the car. I have about a 1.5hr commute sothere's plenty of opportunity for something to happen.

I've been looking at some models and many seem very comparable but the Z-Edge Z3 seems to be a popular choice. Wondering what others are running and what they think?

The downside for me is I hate cables coming off the windshield and winding through the cabin. The console where it would plug into the 12v would have to stay open which offends my chi but can't be helped. I'm not interested in one that tracks GPS info...odds are good I'll be fracturing the speed limit if something does happen. No need to incriminate myself further  :D

I've used one of these for years now. It just hangs there and does its job and has a ton of features you may or may not need.. Novatec chipset is key.  The same unit is branded by a lot of importers. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FONBG1A/ref=mp_s_a_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1473081542&sr=8-20&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dash+cam&dpPl=1&dpID=41PxQ-WAJqL&ref=plSrch

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party but i got the Rexing w/GPS from amazon and like it so far. It's pretty discreet behind the rearview mirror. I really like it cause it still has a screen but doesn't hand down like so many of the other ones. You can watch the video on the screen but the text/MPH is very small; I can barely read it. The software that comes with it is really nice. It will place your video in a overlay with google maps and speed/time. It says its 1080 but license plates can be hard to read if the lighting isn't great. Overall i am happy with the purchase for the price. 

TL:DR - Rexing w/GPS from Amazon for $129.99. Happy with it.

I received the cam late yesterday and tried it out on the way to and from the gym...the first while daylight and the next after dark. Works really great! I can read plates on cars in front of me if they are relatively close (a few car lengths) except at night where the license plates are blown out (too bright) because I'm guessing the camera cranks up the ISO. However, the quality of the night video was good though there is no night vision so it has to be illuminated by headlights or streetlights to show up but even things lightly lit appear.

My observations/complaints (most are nitpicks) thus far after only 20 minutes of actual use are:

• The micro SD card gets inserted/ejected from the top of the camera. It's very recessed and without fingernails, it's tough to get at - especially since it's mounted very high on the windshield.
  • Some detail gets blown out at night from headlights but not a big deal unless you want to read someone's plates.
  • The USB port that is used to power it comes from the bottom of the unit - I would've preferred it came from the side
  • The documentation that came with it is not the greatest. I more or less had to figure out for myself how to set the date, time, preferences, etc
  • Time is only captured/displayed in military time (24 hour format). I couldn't find a way to change it to a 12 hour format.
  • The 12V plug has no USB piggyback ports on it like I've seen with other models.
  • The screen is small so you have to get close up when getting it aligned etc to see what's what - though I like that the unit is small so can't have it both ways
  • I'd prefer a wider FOV (it claims 156 degree view)

My other 'issue' has nothing to do with the camera and all to do with my car. The rear view mirror is mounted on a large plastic covered piece which houses all of the sensors, etc for rain, cruise distance control, etc. It's pretty big. Most people mount the camera behind the mirror to limit view obstruction. I have to mount mine way over to the passenger side and even more so since after the plastic ends, there's shading that extends further. The driver view is not obstructed still but the passenger has it pretty plainly in front of them.. My wife has yet to get into the car with it installed and I know she's going to bitch complain about it.

All in all, if you see it on sale for $60 I think it's totally worth it.

• Upvote 1