Probably the wrong place for this...

Wandering Soul

...but I've never been known for always doing the right thing.

I hate thieves.  REALLY hate them.  Bikes, cars; doesn't matter.  What I'm telling is common knowledge maybe...maybe not.  5-10 years back, the Ohio State Patrol, a couple of Sheriffs' Depts. descended on XXX Dragstrip.  Wound up confiscating a couple of stolen cars and trucks.  And (if memory serves me well) about 40-45 stolen bikes.  There to race.  Who would have thought?  Let's see...brought to the track in a truck or van, so no registration, license plates; no chance of getting pulled over and checked.  No money out of the racers' pockets or anything like that needed.

Oh no!  You blew it up?  No problem; go steal another.

5-10 years ago...long enough some greaseball would try it again if he hasn't already.  If you or a friend get ripped, go hunting.  Bring friends.  Lots of big mean psychotic friends.  These assholes have their own friends.

If this has already been shared, laugh and go on.  I'm old, smelly and half senile, I don't care, lol!

19 hours ago, Wandering Soul said:

...but I've never been known for always doing the right thing.

I hate thieves.  REALLY hate them.  Bikes, cars; doesn't matter.  What I'm telling is common knowledge maybe...maybe not.  5-10 years back, the Ohio State Patrol, a couple of Sheriffs' Depts. descended on XXX Dragstrip.  Wound up confiscating a couple of stolen cars and trucks.  And (if memory serves me well) about 40-45 stolen bikes.  There to race.  Who would have thought?  Let's see...brought to the track in a truck or van, so no registration, license plates; no chance of getting pulled over and checked.  No money out of the racers' pockets or anything like that needed.

Oh no!  You blew it up?  No problem; go steal another.

5-10 years ago...long enough some greaseball would try it again if he hasn't already.  If you or a friend get ripped, go hunting.  Bring friends.  Lots of big mean psychotic friends.  These assholes have their own friends.

If this has already been shared, laugh and go on.  I'm old, smelly and half senile, I don't care, lol!

I am NOT defending theives BUT, did they have probably cause to rifle through everyone's shit to figure all that out?

9 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I am NOT defending theives BUT, did they have probably cause to rifle through everyone's shit to figure all that out?

Maybe, maybe not.  I'm all for them observing Constitutional rights.  And half of the cops don't.  But by the same token even if you never got to see your ride again, wouldn't you want to know where, who?

If there's a police report,victim claims the property is at the location and the alternative they want to prevent is  " go hunting.  Bring friends.  Lots of big mean psychotic friends "

I think one coming back as stolen would  put the event under suspicion, Some city event permits require police presence

This was at a regularly scheduled Saturday at Edgewater Dragstrip.  Don't know who tipped the cops off, but they went in force.  I don't know about now, but used to be there was always a deputy or two anytime the gates were open anyway.   And probably went in to avoid any un-pleasantness as you said.

Edited by Wandering Soul

Police do not need probable cause to walk up to a parked bike and look at the VIN. 

They're not initiating a traffic stop, they're spectators who happened to look closer than you. 

Owning an unregistered motorcycle is not a crime. I have owned track bikes that weren't titles in my name. I went to considerable lengths to confirm they weren't stolen, including asking the police to run the VIN.