Delayed story of the crash.

vf1000ride

Well, I kinda alluded to it but didn't want to bugger up oldschoolsdime92's thread about buying his Sprint.  Now that I am home and not trying to do everything from my cell phone I guess I can tell my story for you guys. I crashed the heck out of my Triumph Sprint last month while down riding the Dragon area.  Long story short, while riding Cherohalla Skyway, about 15 miles south from Tellico Plains I was watching too much scenery and not enough of the approaching downhill decreasing radius righthander that kicked my butt.  Panic braked and did not let off enough before leaning into it.  Locked the front tire and lowsided across the oncoming lane and hit the uphill side of the mountain, got super lucky with no guard rail,oncoming traffic or cliff to fall off.  It was just me and the dirt thank goodness. I don't think my buddies got any pictures but they say I left a nice pair of black skids before any of the hard parts hit.  Bike ended up resting in a tree, I was in the ditch about 10 feet from it.  Ended up spending 8 days at University of Tennessee's trauma center in Knoxville and a little over a month in a rehab center.  Just got home today and it is so nice to be sitting on my own furniture again., 

Injuries were, broke both bones in my right forearm right at the wrist.  Was not compound but my hand was displaced from alignment with my arm by 1.5 inches.  It was noticeable through my riding gear.  One small 2x4 inch section of road rash on my RH calf were my textile pants wore through.  Dislocated and broke my RH hip, the ball on the femur is good but I broke out a piece of my hip socket.  Other than a couple bruises, that was it.  I have all kinds of new metal plates to hold my wrist and hip in place till the bones finish healing but luckily pain is in check.  I got lucky and the riding gear did as much as I could ever hope for, no head neck or back injuries.  Sorry to preach but wear your gear folks.  The textile pants didn't hold up as well as leather but they are a whole crap ton better than blue jeans.  I probably wouldn't have a calf on my right leg if I was wearing armored jeans. 

The sad pictures.  I was already on the way to the hospital by the time these were taken so you can see the gear they cut off me in a few of them.

14355804_1330627086950205_99286296292525

14368633_1330627256950188_87729018588260

The dirt was my path, the tree in the background is what stopped the bike.

14358687_1330627456950168_64756010336576

14368846_1330627386950175_86560276829306

Pants were a roughly 8 year old pair of the Fieldsheer Mercury overpants.  They were a closed weave (originally waterproof) heavier overpants with pretty good armor in the knees and hips. Coat was the Icon Compound line, Shoei helmet, Held Phantom II gloves, Sidi st-air boots.

Forgot to mention, as much as I didn't add a piece of the bike to the tree of shame at the Gap store.  My buddies did hang a piece of my fairing in the tree that stopped the bike so I could start my own tree of shame on this road.  :)  It's always awesome when your friends have your back like that. 

• Upvote 1

Glad you're (for the most part) OK. That sucks about your bike but at least you and it tangled with a tree/ditch instead of guardrail.

You've got the winter to recover and look for something new for next year :)

1 hour ago, oldschoolsdime92 said:

Man, I had no idea you were still in the hospital during our sprint discussions. Glad your here to tell the story. Heal up soon! 

I crashed back on Sept 13th.  Got to spend the first 8 days at the University of Tennessee's trauma center down in Knoxville.  I came back up and spent a little over a month at a local rehab/assisted living center on the east side of Columbus. Just came back to the house on Thursday last week, it's so nice to be back home.

• 1 month later...

So a quick update from the land of the (recently) walking wounded.  Doctor gave me permission to start full weight bearing on my injured leg this morning.  I finally get to start driving again and the worst part is I now have a date to start back to work (dangit :crazy:).  Anyways, if you wanted to see my metal detector test kit I won as a door prize for this whole event.  The picture of my pelvis doesn't show much but the metal, this one of my wrist though you can see all the fracture lines between the left set of screws and the one that's roughly in the middle.

15025094_10209605223480234_4290565136844  

13 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

The picture of my pelvis doesn't show much

Same here, but I'm white...so I've learned to accept it :D

Glad to hear you're alive and healing man.   Once you're mended, we should all get together again for steak and beer!

1 hour ago, Hellmutt said:

Same here, but I'm white...so I've learned to accept it :D

Glad to hear you're alive and healing man.   Once you're mended, we should all get together again for steak and beer!

It's an x-ray, that doesn't show up anyway. :) (or maybe just couldn't find it) 

Always up for steak and beer.  Will do my best to try and make a couple of the monthly get togethers this winter.