Sena and iOS 10

Shoop

I have a Sena SMH10R and use an iPhone 7. Ever since I updated iOS to version 10 I have lost things that I used to be able to do.

After the screen has gone to the lock screen I cannot answer an incoming call from the Sena. Also, I used  to be able to do voice commands to play a different album, etc.

It seems the problem is that Apple changed the wake up sequence from "home button, swipe right" to "home button, home button" and the Sena doesn't handle that.

The Sena support people have not been helpful. They just tell me to reset the Sena. They will not answer a simple question - do you have an update that will let the Sena work with an iPhone running iOS 10? Frustrating.

My Plantronics E550 earbud has the same problem.

If you have a Sena and an iPhone, you might want to wait to update to iOS 10.

Has anybody else seen this problem? Found a solution?

Chris

Edited by Shoop

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled into a partial solution for the Sena. 

If I start a map app like google maps or CoPilot then the phone will not go to the lock screen. That's not much help for the Plantronics because I don't usually walk around with a map app running.

Has anybody else noticed that their devices won't open the phone after the update to iOS 10?

Is there a way in ios to set the screen to be unlocked when connected to certain bluetooth devices? Android calls it trusted devices. So my Sena and car when paired unlock it.

Or a third party 'screen on' app that keeps the screen on.

9 hours ago, Tonik said:

Is there a way in ios to set the screen to be unlocked when connected to certain bluetooth devices? Android calls it trusted devices. So my Sena and car when paired unlock it.

Or a third party 'screen on' app that keeps the screen on.

I havent heard of that feature before for ios.

Talking to AT&T support today. They said the issue was reported to Apple. They guy is checking for a workaround. 

I looked at Trusted Devices in the iOS help forums. Looks like that term is for computers that you set up for backup. Doesn't seen to talk about BT devices.

I talked with Apple support last night and they fixed the problem. My Plantronics worked right after the fix. But now a different issue, not caused by the ios change, is preventing the BT device from waking the phone. At least I am able to answer calls and can control the music playback - which is an improvement from before the reset. The support guy on the chat line was great, though I must admit that the gung-ho attitude soon became annoying. 

The solution was that I had to reset all the settings in my iPhone. A single system reset command cleared everything. After the phone came back to life the headset was able to wake it. The tech said they have had a few instances where stored profiles for BT devices do not work properly with the ios update and the reset clears those up.

That reset step was a pain because many MANY things then had to be reset or re-entered. iTunes, Appstore, location services - many things. I even had to re-enter the alarms on the clock function of my phone.  

But this morning the headset and the Sena are again not able to wake the phone. But the problem is a security app that my company requires be active on my phone in order to protect the company email and calendar system that I can access from it. Prior to the reset, I was able to set the that app so the passcode would not be required for up to five minutes after the screen actually goes blank.  For some reason, after the phone reset that app no longer allows a delay and will immediately require the pass code or thumbprint to wake up as soon as the screen goes blank. 

I am reconsidering whether I want to accept this security stuff just so I can see my company emails and check my calendar. 

6 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

That's been out for about a month...good to know it seems to have addressed the issue.

Really? I just got a notification about it like two days ago. I'm usually on top of updates. Doh. 

3 hours ago, Shoop said:

But this morning the headset and the Sena are again not able to wake the phone. But the problem is a security app that my company requires be active on my phone in order to protect the company email and calendar system that I can access from it. Prior to the reset, I was able to set the that app so the passcode would not be required for up to five minutes after the screen actually goes blank.  For some reason, after the phone reset that app no longer allows a delay and will immediately require the pass code or thumbprint to wake up as soon as the screen goes blank. 

I am reconsidering whether I want to accept this security stuff just so I can see my company emails and check my calendar. 

If it isn't a company owned phone, no way in hell I'd have company security crap on it.