Columbus Police: 100,000 cruiser video files dating back to 2015 inadvertently deleted

motocat12

27 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I would think that they would have backups given the potentially critical/ sensitive information those cams could collect. If they dont, then that's their fault.

The article says they put any videos that might be part of a case on DVD.  That is their backup, and a pretty cost effective compromise.  I feel their pain, as a public entity there is some stuff we are required by law to keep forever.  How the hell do you do that, how to you tell what emails are forever, what are 3 years and what are 7 years?

And what email archival system is going to be in business 'forever'.

27 minutes ago, Tonik said:

The article says they put any videos that might be part of a case on DVD.  That is their backup, and a pretty cost effective compromise.  I feel their pain, as a public entity there is some stuff we are required by law to keep forever.  How the hell do you do that, how to you tell what emails are forever, what are 3 years and what are 7 years?

And what email archival system is going to be in business 'forever'.

We just changed ours about a year ago. We dont keep emails for more than 2 years. If you want to keep keep them better save em local. But for what we do, we typically dont need to save email threads from two years ago.

2 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

We just changed ours about a year ago. We dont keep emails for more than 2 years. If you want to keep keep them better save em local. But for what we do, we typically dont need to save email threads from two years ago.

We are bound by public records laws, we have no choice in the matter.  It sucks, I just filled the second server with emails...third one is on order.  We can't count on the staff to know what is forever, what is 5 and so on...so we save it all.  Spam whatever, we got it.

5 minutes ago, Tonik said:

We are bound by public records laws, we have no choice in the matter.  It sucks, I just filled the second server with emails...third one is on order.  We can't count on the staff to know what is forever, what is 5 and so on...so we save it all.  Spam whatever, we got it.

Eh, ends up being more work for you, more storage hardware more drives to fail lol.

5 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Eh, ends up being more work for you, more storage hardware more drives to fail lol.

I don't mind the work, it all pays the same.  Would rather spend that money on teachers, or computers for students but that isn't my call.

20 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Same money they used to spend for storage of tons of paper.

Yea, that has all been scanned electronically now too.  We have to save that forever, it damn near filled a whole building.

59 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I don't mind the work, it all pays the same.  Would rather spend that money on teachers, or computers for students but that isn't my call.

lol... schools spending money on teachers and students. funny guy. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, what said:

lol... schools spending money on teachers and students. funny guy. 

If you asshats would stop electing asshats to the State Legislature we could do more of that.  We have whole departments that just fill out paperwork that the State requires us to fill out.  Right now there isn't a damn thing being learned in the schools because we are doing all the State AIR testing, and reading testing, and state mandated ACT tests, and the Ohio Graduation test. That is happening all over the State right now.  As we are required by law to do. And it is the second of three times we have to do it each year.

This is on you man, you elected these asshats. :lol:

But that said we do pretty damn good here with what we got.  We have 2500 chromebooks and 1500 PC's for 6000 kids.  And our teacher to student ratio is one of the best in the state.  As is our ratio of administrators to students..ie not many administrators per student.

So despite your best efforts to saddle us with bullshit laws we are doing very well thank you.

Just now, Tonik said:

If you asshats would stop electing asshats to the State Legislature we could do more of that.  We have whole departments that just fill out paperwork that the State requires us to fill out.  Right now there isn't a damn thing being learned in the schools because we are doing all the State AIR testing, and reading testing, and state mandated ACT tests, and the Ohio Graduation test. That is happening all over the State right now.  As we are required by law to do. And it is the second of three times we have to do it each year.

This is on you man, you elected these asshats. :lol:

But that said we do pretty damn good here with what we got.  We have 2500 chromebooks and 1500 PC's for 6000 kids.  And our teacher to student ratio is one of the best in the state.  As is our ratio of administrators to students..ie not many administrators per student.

So despite your best efforts to saddle us with bullshit laws we are doing very well thank you.

yall hiring any infrastructure people? :lol:

Just now, TimTheAzn said:

you guys only have 1 infra guy?

WTF would more than 1 do all day?  It's only 11 buildings and 7000 total users. We actually give him extra duties outside of infra.  He does user accounts for staff, handles the Cisco phones...few other odds and ends. Although we are about to tear down 9 buildings and build 5 bigger ones so that will keep him busy.  But most of the heavy lifting on that will be done by the construction peeps and we will only be opening about 1 per year.

55 minutes ago, Tonik said:

WTF would more than 1 do all day?  It's only 11 buildings and 7000 total users. We actually give him extra duties outside of infra.  He does user accounts for staff, handles the Cisco phones...few other odds and ends. Although we are about to tear down 9 buildings and build 5 bigger ones so that will keep him busy.  But most of the heavy lifting on that will be done by the construction peeps and we will only be opening about 1 per year.

Idk, I have 6 people on the NOC with plans to hire more people onto my team this year. But we've got more than a handful of datacenters across the world at this point with lots of things going on.