Bikeless again :(

redkow97

I accidentally sold my XR yesterday.  Guy posted a WTB thread on the OMRL facebook page, and I messaged him with a cash price for my bike and spares.  He didn't balk or negotiate.  I didn't see that coming.

Best bike I ever owned :(

We met at Iron Pony, and I browsed the dealer sections while I was waiting for him to get there.  A nice woman was asking a fat guy in a harley t-shirt if a given Kawasaki was "a 600 or a 750."  He was unable to find any numerical badging on it, and I watched them debate this issue for 30 seconds or so before I interjected that the single disk and dual headers (along with the conspicuous absence of a numerical identifier) made me quite confident that it was a Ninja 300.  Good looking bike when you see it in person.  Without the engine noise, I can see why people would confuse it with the ZX6, etc.    Their marketing is working.

The same 'expert' who couldn't recognize the 300 then went on to ask me if I thought that a Z125 was road-legal.  He was a real genius. 

The new ninja 300's are really good looking bikes, surprisingly so. I think Kawi is ahead of the pack when it comes to the lightweight/entry market (not counting KTM). 

That said, an OMRL bike is my next purchase, probably over the winter/spring. Wanted to get it going this year but overtime has been a little low so far and a surprise liter bike popped up that I couldn't say no to :p 

I'm too fat (big) for a 300. I'd never be able to ride on the highway and it isn't going to have enough umph to power myself out of a hairy situation. So I'd never be able to ride the grom I bought. *salesman at ******* 

Even though when I had it I would constantly go full tuck and still go 62 Mph on the highway. 

Same salesman told my dad he should get a 600rr instead of waiting for the 650f. Lololol

I understand that not everyone rides a motorcycle for the same reason, and I really don't "begrudge" cruiser guys the joy they get out of having loud (relatively) slow bikes, but I wish everyone had a better understanding of the capabilities of small-bore and "standard" style bikes.

I sincerely believe that a CBR250 (intentionally choosing the 250 with the lowest top speed) would turn faster laps than the vast majority of cruisers, even if you threw in a pretty long straight where the cruiser could stretch its legs.

If I ever hit the lottery, you're all invited to some epic private track days :p

16 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

I understand that not everyone rides a motorcycle for the same reason, and I really don't "begrudge" cruiser guys the joy they get out of having loud (relatively) slow bikes, but I wish everyone had a better understanding of the capabilities of small-bore and "standard" style bikes.

I sincerely believe that a CBR250 (intentionally choosing the 250 with the lowest top speed) would turn faster laps than the vast majority of cruisers, even if you threw in a pretty long straight where the cruiser could stretch its legs.

If I ever hit the lottery, you're all invited to some epic private track days :p

No doubt it would... there was a kid at my very first track day on some frankenstein ninja 250 that was putting the rest of the novice group to shame. He was young too... not sure how he got permission to go out, maybe race licensed already and they overlooked their rules or something. Guessing he was 13 or 14. 

Gavin Anthony was riding a Ninja 300 in intermediate with N2 and PIRC last summer.  I didn't get to watch him very much, but I saw him going around the outside of people on liter bikes like they were sitting still.

That said, his bike wasn't showroom stock.

I'm talking taking a stock bike with stock tires, and showing 'bike snobs' how much more capable the bike is than they are. 

My 300 definitely looked better than my 650. When people saw both bikes together they thought the 300 was the upgrade. hehe Compared the 650, the 300 wanted to flick crazy quick.

I can't believe I actually know more about certain bike(s) and bike topics than some other riders.

Edited by hiro

On 7/27/2017 at 9:12 AM, redkow97 said:

Without the engine noise, I can see why people would confuse it with the ZX6

Maybe that's why I liked to keep the 300 revved up during the first year; to make it sound more like 4 cylinders rather than 2. (And to generate some power.) The second year I rode it more chill. Just appreciating it for what it was.

Now that I'm pretty much adjusted to the increased power of the 650 and wonder how long it will be before I feel the need for a change. It's only been a few months though.

I'd actually like to get a dirt bike.