Bought A New Gadget

ProudPops

Now there's an upside and a downside to having Justin work at Iron Pony. The upside is that I get to hang out in a huge motorcycle parts and accessories store with my son. The downside is that Iron Pony has just about anything you want when it comes to motorcycles. They even have the Angel Bells that you're not supposed to buy for yourself. I let mine go with the HD and her new owner. He probably doesn't even know it's on there let alone it came from AZ, thanks Ginger. BTW, my birthday is the end of May.

Anywho, I see this bobble called a Green Light Trigger and it sells for about $25.00. Now, as riders, we all have an intersection that we dread. Our bike is not going to trigger the light so we either turn right, whip a louie, and make two more rights, or we we just run the friggin' light and hope for the best. So, in my time killing ritual of making a purchase at Iron Pony the Green Light Trigger is the lucky bobble that gets to come home with me this trip. I put it on my bike and try it out. It works! The Green Light Trigger and a Battery Tender are the greatest motorcycle inventions ever! About fifty bucks you can have both and ride as happy as I do.

Pops

I actually was wondering about the validity of these when I was at Iron Pony last. No one really gave me an answer, however with your success I should probably pick one up because a lot of my destinations include at least one (if not 2 or 3) actuated signals, and I've just started avoiding them at all costs.

so wait, what exactly does it do? it makes the light green whenever u hit the button?

No, I don't know if I'm exactly right, but there is some truth in this. At stop lights there are triggers under the ground that pick up if there is metal above them. Kind of like a metal detector. A car is huge so it obviously trips it. A Bike is small and not much for the detector to work with. The Green Light Trigger device for your bike sends a signal to the concrete that gets detected by the trip device under the ground to tell the lights that there is something there waiting to go, such as making it think there's a car there instead of a bike.

ohhhhh, i always thought those pads were weight activated....?

My theory is right, but I'm not sure if it is weight or metal detected. That's why I backed myself up by saying "I don't know if I'm EXACTLY right..." at the beginning. :wink: :banana:

I believe most are induction coils. When another "magnet" passes over the coil it causes the the field around the induction coil to collapse resulting in an electrical discharge. Car and bike engines both create fields, but often times the bike field isn't large (or close) enough to trigger it.

It's been a while so I could be a bit off.

Yeah it's an induction loop. Just like I said :tongue:

Conductive metals also interfere with the field. This is how metal detectors work. I guess I kind of mixed the use here. The 9th grade was an awful long time ago. You know the stupid little experiment wrapping wire and passing it through a magnet (or bar magnet through coiled wire)...same type of thing. :flingpoo:

The 9th grade was an awful long time ago. You know the stupid little experiment wrapping wire and passing it through a magnet (or bar magnet through coiled wire)...same type of thing. :flingpoo:

:( I never got to do that. But I did disect a frog and worm in 7th grade!(1991) :D I got bonus points when I cut open the frog because it had a huge sack of black eggs in it. I still can remember that smell....DAMN IT STUNK! :wtf: