Ever wonder why rotary owners don't get tickets?

Guest jpurdy2003

Guest Crankshaft
<font color ="midnightblue"> From this video, we're to assume that we should consider buying a car that has the potential for consuming gangly English police officers and injest their clothing to God-knows what end. At the conclusion, we know nothing of its performance or speed capabilities (other than the rapidity of which it digests government officials), or, should our needs require more than disposing of said officials, why we should purchase the vehicle. Great marketing.

Originally posted by Folkvang:

Great marketing.

Because 98% of the people who will buy this car will buy it based on it's actually ability to go fast. :rolleyes:

Almost everyone who buys this car, or just about any other car in America will buy it based on a few things. I won't go into what I think these major categories are, but how a person will judge if the care meets their criteria in those categories.

Even though Americans are stupid when it comes to car buying. In most cases, in America and other countries. It usually comes down to a car being first, something to get around in. And secondly a status symbol (sometimes the other way around).

So neglecting how well it gets around: does it drive nice, what kind of gas mileage does it get, is there enough room inside, it comes down to appearance. How is the car perceived? Not how the person buying the car perceives it, but how do the people around him or her perceive it.

Younger people might think a Cavalier Z24 or Civic Si looks good and performs well. 'Older' people who grew up in the muscle car era might think a Corvette looks good and performs well. People with a little money might think a BMW 5 series or something of the like looks good and performs well. People with alot of money might think an Aston Marti DB7 looks good and performs well. I didn't pick any of these cars for any particular reason except for, generally speaking, the fit a particular demography for new car buyers. All of these cars do certain things well, and possible other things not so well. In short, it doesn't matter what they actually do, but what people perceive that they can do. Because a vast majority of people will never push the car anyways.

This commercial was made to make the car look mean (because it actually has pretty 'soft' styling, imho), and to get the car on TV. No one wants a ‘soft performance car’. How many commercials have a car just driving down a country road, or down a street in the middle of a city? They might do some other marketing gimmick attached to this, but this is a secondary objective. The primary is to get the car on TV, period.

So is it great marketing? No. Great marketing to me is something you’ve never seen before, something that will stick into your mind for a week when you only saw the commercial once. But it is good, proven marketing, and it works.

Edit: I almost said something about this car having suicide back doors. How that make it a cooler car, before I even watched the video. And the showed that in the commercial. Yeah, they add a little convenience. But afaik, no one on this board owns one so that doesn't really matter. How cool do you think they are? I know when I first saw one driving down a road, that popped into my head.

Guest Crankshaft
Originally posted by Neo:

<font color ="midnightblue"> Because 98% of the people who will buy this car will buy it based on it's actually ability to go fast. :rolleyes:

Almost everyone who buys this car, or just about any other car in America will buy it based on a few things. I won't go into what I think these major categories are, but how a person will judge if the care meets their criteria in those categories.

Even though Americans are stupid when it comes to car buying. In most cases, in America and other countries. It usually comes down to a car being first, something to get around in. And secondly a status symbol (sometimes the other way around).

So neglecting how well it gets around: does it drive nice, what kind of gas mileage does it get, is there enough room inside, it comes down to appearance. How is the car perceived? Not how the person buying the car perceives it, but how do the people around him or her perceive it.

Younger people might think a Cavalier Z24 or Civic Si looks good and performs well. 'Older' people who grew up in the muscle car era might think a Corvette looks good and performs well. People with a little money might think a BMW 5 series or something of the like looks good and performs well. People with alot of money might think an Aston Marti DB7 looks good and performs well. I didn't pick any of these cars for any particular reason except for, generally speaking, the fit a particular demography for new car buyers. All of these cars do certain things well, and possible other things not so well. In short, it doesn't matter what they actually do, but what people perceive that they can do. Because a vast majority of people will never push the car anyways.

This commercial was made to make the car look mean (because it actually has pretty 'soft' styling, imho), and to get the car on TV. No one wants a ‘soft performance car’. How many commercials have a car just driving down a country road, or down a street in the middle of a city? They might do some other marketing gimmick attached to this, but this is a secondary objective. The primary is to get the car on TV, period.

So is it great marketing? No. Great marketing to me is something you’ve never seen before, something that will stick into your mind for a week when you only saw the commercial once. But it is good, proven marketing, and it works.

Edit: I almost said something about this car having suicide back doors. How that make it a cooler car, before I even watched the video. And the showed that in the commercial. Yeah, they add a little convenience. But afaik, no one on this board owns one so that doesn't really matter. How cool do you think they are? I know when I first saw one driving down a road, that popped into my head.

<font color ="midnightblue"> Marketing major? I don't personally have any affection for the car; I agree with you, it looks soft, and doesn't quite fit in with what I would consider the ideal follow-up to the RX7. I can't quite tell whether you're agreeing with me or not, so I'll just say that my point was that a car eating a guy's clothes wasn't the most efficeint use of a company's advertising budget. Certainly, I agree that an add must be original, but there's a point where originality borders on obscure, sometimes becoming inneffective in its uniqueness. And some form of information about the car must be conveyed for the buyer to any clue as to why they might want to purchase the vehicle over another brand. I, potentially, am a buyer for that car. And, after seeing the add, I am not anymore convinced that I should buy it than before I watched it. In fact, I am even slightly deterred from buying it after watching that. Thus, it was not effective. Granted, an ad can't appeal to all markets, but it shouldn't turn any away, either. My take.

Originally posted by 2Slw4CR:

Kinda like a rip off of the European Ford commercials and the Sportka

Except for those were funny. graemlins/lol.gif

Folkvang, do you think you are the typical buyer or the 'intended' buyer for that car?

That commercial will stick in someone’s head. When they are driving past a dealership and they see it again, they will think of that commercial. It will make them think about it, good or bad. If they think about it enough, they might go look at it. The old saying 'there's no such thing as bad publicity' kind of works here. The car just needs to be seen.

I agree with you that a commercial can be too unique, to far out there. This commercial might be that, not saying it's not. But I don't really think that matters that much. The right commercial is secondary; a commercial period is the primary objective. With targeting the right market coming in at a scant third.

Not a marketing major or even ever taken a class, it's just what makes sense (to me).

Originally posted by MRMEANR:

engines good... car is clean... prolly wouldnt buy one.

If by good engine you mean poor sounding, torquless rotary with HP numbers lower than than comparable costing piston motors that Mazda could have fit in there instead, then year, what an awesome powerplant. smile.gif