hjc ac-12 carbon or no?

John

which would you pick? carbon or flat black?

DSC03383.jpg

or

31iPhFVGgNL._AA280_.jpg

the weight difference is only like 3 ounces between the carbon and the other one, so thats not really that big of a selling point...

I think the AC-12 carbon gets into the $400+ range. I would suggest looking into a shoei or an arai by that point. They have better overall construction: ventilation, visor systems, weight, and quiet interior. That's just my own $.02

:plus1: What he said.

I think the AC-12 carbon gets into the $400+ range. I would suggest looking into a shoei or an arai by that point. They have better overall construction: ventilation, visor systems, weight, and quiet interior. That's just my own $.02

+2

ive got the flat black one sitting on the floor here. i dont like the HJC at all.

I wore a HJC for a while but didn't like the fit or weight to it, so I ended up getting a Scorpion which has a better fit and is more comfortable, IMO. But if you are stuck on HJC Id go with the carbon, that looks pretty badass.

i found it online for like 270 + shipping.

what kind of shoei or arai would you recommend?

about the graphics, im not really into graphics that much, but im not totally opposed to them either... but more of a solid kinda guy :)

ben, what dont you like about the HJC?

X eleven

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/home.php?cat=26431

RF-1000

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/home.php?cat=26427

I've used both of these helmets and they both have great construction and comfort. However, the difference between the two helmets is huge. The x eleven is noticeably lighter and much more ventilation. This will guarantee your visor to never fog with a high flow of air coming from upper and lower ducts directly to the visor. The liner in the helmet is also fully removable making it easy to wash or replace later with different sizes of padding.

I know Shoei also backs their helmets with a 5 year warranty from purchase vs HJC 2 or 3 year warranty.

The shell of all Shoei helmets are the same 3 layer construction.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/road/accessories_matrix.aspx

2 layers of fiberglass and 1 layer for carbon to increase the strength / weight ratio.

Ultimately I love all their helmets but they're expensive for reasons beyond just the paint. The links above are some of the best prices I've seen around.

also, what is everyones thoughts on AGV helmets? yay or nay?

They are great helmets the guys at sport bike track gear swear by them.. ill be picking up a stealth really soon hopefully.

ben, what dont you like about the HJC?

its noisy, the lens fogs up like its cool, and the mechanisms also feel a little cheap on the visor. also i think price is a little more than hype when it comes to the better helmet brands. all the important things in a helmet are not visible to the naked eye without disassembling the helmet, and it is also not likely that you will be able to feel the difference of protection by wearing it either.

HJC also doesnt have as many shell sizes as some other brands, so they use one outer shell for a lot of different helmet sizes and contour the foam inside to be smaller, creating a helmet that makes you look like dark helmet from spaceballs.

its noisy, the lens fogs up like its cool, and the mechanisms also feel a little cheap on the visor. also i think price is a little more than hype when it comes to the better helmet brands. all the important things in a helmet are not visible to the naked eye without disassembling the helmet, and it is also not likely that you will be able to feel the difference of protection by wearing it either.

HJC also doesnt have as many shell sizes as some other brands, so they use one outer shell for a lot of different helmet sizes and contour the foam inside to be smaller, creating a helmet that makes you look like dark helmet from spaceballs.

Maybe on the older models, but I have a CL-15 and I love the way the lenses change, they have a very good system IMHO that doesn't feel cheap or flimsey. The helmet does fog up, but which one doesn't? I'm sure an anti fog coating would help, but I just leave the breath box in all the time. I wear contacts and with out it my eyes dry up and become uncomfortable, and I'm blinking all the time, So I just leave it in 24/7