1U Rackmount Server

Rogue_SSEi

Oh God, you must be friends with Chris...

graemlins/nonono.gif

Let me look into it and get back with ya. I don't know, I'm kinda sketchy about buying something from a 3800 owner...

Antec 1U case - $219

Soyo MB w/2.7GHz Celeron - $69.97

Viking 256MB DDR x2 - $69.98 (34.99ea)

16x DVD-ROM - $34.99

Maxtor 60GB UltraATA 133 7200RPM - $62.99

Total ----- $456.93

I'll offer you $200.

Originally posted by satan:

Oh God, you must be friends with Chris...

graemlins/nonono.gif

Let me look into it and get back with ya. I don't know, I'm kinda sketchy about buying something from a 3800 owner...

Ban.

Originally posted by Rogue_SSEi:

The case alone is worth 200 smile.gif I'll go 300 but thats about it (besides Soyo boards suck ass ;) )

The case alone would be worth $200 if it was a brand new Antec case with a never before used power supply. As for Soyo boards sucking, I've never had one fail. But I've had three Intel boards die on me. Soyos are cheap, but usually pretty reliable. DDR RAM is better. 2.7GHz is alot better then 800MHz. Etc, etc... It was just an example. I'm going to have to pass on $300. If no one else is interested and you decide to lower it to $200, let me know.

Thanks for entertaining the offer, I'll let you know. BTW did you include shipipng in all those numbers? smile.gif

Rackmount cases hold their value much more so than a desktop case, sorry if I hit a nerve with the soyo board but of course its easy to go to pricewatch and quote the lowest things spec wise.

Actually, all of those prices were from Tiger Direct.

Shipping to my door via UPS Ground for all of the parts mentioned above - $24.24

Rackmount cases do hold their value, true. But the power supplies don't. A 300W 1U power supply will run right around $85. I'm guessing that setup you have is approx. four years old. Definitely about time for a power supply. Rackmount server power supplies are much more prone to failure due to the higher heat intensity. They run much hotter then a power supply in a tower case. A 1U case without power supply is only about $80 - 120.

And no hard feelings, no nerve hit. Just stating facts. I've been looking into setting up a 1U rackmount server at home. I already have a Cisco router, two IBM 24-port managed switches (one has been stolen by Mark and I need it back), and a 2U Athlon 2400 Linux box. I need something to set up as my mail server to take the load off my Linux box. My offer still stands.

that's it. i'm jealous. what is that, a 42u rack? i only have a 19u shorty. but for home, i think it is enough. now that i've seen your setup, i'm beginning to wonder. i'm digging the rackmount apc ups. i haven't been able to justify spending that much money on a ups. so, i just have one sitting on the floor. eventually i'll upgrade. that's a really nice setup you have there dude. what all do you have running on those servers?

and i still stand at $200 smile.gif

Windows 2K3 AD Server

Windows 2K File Server

The 1U is (was) a linux game server

The poweredge on the bottom is my linux firewall/router/web server

The box above the APC is RAID storage for the file server.

I have 3 other game machines in the room and a few laptops.

Unfortunately (fortunately?), i've sort of burned myself out over the last 22 years on computers so I've moved on to cars.

#1 for learning and practicing MCSE.

#2 I was running my own web server/domain/ftp server for a bit from the house. Since moved to third party hosting as higher bandwidth was required.

#3 Hosted a lot of lan parties with friends

#4 Its the computer equivilent to having a mint GTO Judge making a ton of horsepower, its just cool.

#5 Easier to maintain my own router and extract retribution from those attemping to gain access by thinking they are hotshot crackers instead of scriptkiddies (computer equivilent to ricers).