94 Mustang fuel filler neck

Nitrousbird

My 94 GT is leaking fuel out of the fuel filler neck, where it meets the fuel tank.

I'm looking for part numbers/item descriptions of the gaskets that go there. I'll fix it the next time I'm low on gas, and want to have the parts available to fix it the first time, w/ no trips to the store.

Its just a fuel filler neck grommet, it is a big rubber grommet that pushes into the gas tank (you have to drop the tank to replace it). Its like $32 from a ford dealer.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

I can't see why I'd have to drop the tank; it is really easy to get to; nothing is in the way.

Hopefully Autozone carries one.

If its the grommet on the gas tank you HAVE to drop the tank, the fuel fill neck goes a good 6" into the tank, the only way to get it out is to drop the tank.

You MIGHT be able to unbolt the fuel filler neck from the car, rotate it and pull it out, I've never tried because its easier to just drop the tank...

I'll probably just try to pull the neck out first. The straps on the tank are pretty old, and I fear pulling those bolts might be the end of them. :(

Found out Autozone and Advanced Auto don't carry the grommet; Advanced guy says Napa does.....of course they are always freaking closed. :rolleyes: So she isn't getting fixed tonight. :(

She's all done.

Had to pull the tank. Probably could have pulled it off w/ the tank in place if the exhaust and bumper cover were gone.

Luckily the tank bolts weren't rusted too badly, and came out with a little conviencing. Pretty straight forward job.

Did find a small hole in the filler neck I had to patch.