Electric / AC problem

Berto

well the AC went out in the corolla last yr, well its hot as fuck so i decide to fix it.

well the compressor clutch was not getting 12 volts. i tested it and when i apply 12 volts from the battery the clutch engages, and cold air comes out.

the wire that went to the compressor with 12 volts originally, so i traced it back to the AC amplifier where it still had 12 V

so i ran a wire from the AC amplifier to the compressor. well the line i added in i tested and has 12 volts....awesome. but when i hook it up to the compressor the voltage drops to 0.5 volts.

wtf. help.

If you read across an open circuit you will read source voltage, in this case 12V. When you hook the circuit up it wont necessarily read the same. It sounds like you have a wiring issue, that is, an open, most likely on the hot side. With the compressor disconnected, read resistance from the AC amplifier hot wire to the hot side of the battery. It should read close to 0 ohms if it is supposed to be hot. Let me know what you find out, or if you want to call me you can.

is you system a little low on freon? if there isnt enough in the system, the low pressure switch will prevent the system engaging to keep the compressor from being damaged. i am not framiliar with mazda systems, just the gm/harris r 12 systems.

i don't think its that because when the car is on and the A/C is on the line to the compressor has 12 volts....its just when i hook up the compressor the voltage drops like that.

Digital meters will show weird shit like that because they don't apply any load to the circuit. It sounds like something has happened with the switch and you are seeing the twelve volts feeding through a light bulb or something like that. Once you connect the wire to the compressor clutch the load increases and the voltage drops to 0. Try connecting the wire to the clutch, and turn on the AC switch. I figure that the little light in the switch will light up. Then disconnect the wire from the clutch. If I am right the light on the switch will go out even though its turned on. If that's the case, and you have power in the dash at the switch the switch is most likey bad. The way to tell is to reconnect the clutch and see if the twelve volts goes away at the switch feed, if it stays at 12 volts then it's the switch for sure. Make up a jumper and jump the connection from the feed of te switch out to the compressor clutch to verify this.