1998 Accord rear hub/wheel bearing assembly

excell

My boss has a 1998 Accord 4cyl and the drivers rear wheel bearing is going out. I had him pick up the new hub/bearing assembly so I could do it for him.

In looking at the part, it seems like the assembly presses into the axle. Is this the case?

How difficult is it going to be to accomplish this task? How in the heck do I remove the old one if it does press in?

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Originally posted by (s)aint ZX:

Dipshit, you know what I mean. "Knuckle assembly"

Fuckstick.

Hehe, just trying to bust your balls. This is just generally speaking. You need to remove all of the bolts that hold the Knuckle to the suspension and get the bearing pressed in and out. You might also need to get the spindle pressed in and out of the bearing. I'm doing a rear one on my S4 right now and am going to take the knuckle to carquest. I took it to NAPA last time (did a fine job, but they are $10 more than Carquest). $35 at carquest and $45 at NAPA (iirc, it's been a while, but it was like $40 or $45 bucks). The Napa near 104 and 70 does it and the Carquest on Silver Dr. does it, I know that for sure. Most places that are specific machine shops might do it, but will probably be more.

You can find a hydraulic press if you feel frisky and try to do it. I will be doing it on my Talon, but I need the S4 done ASAP and don't feel like redoing it if I ruin the bearing pressing it in wrong. Most places can get it done in half a day anyways, so it's not much of a wait.

If you can find a hub tamer it will be cake, especially on the non-drive wheels of a car. This tool can press all of that shit in and out without needing to take it, the knuckle, off of the car. A friend of mine will be buying one of these within the next few weeks that I could use but my car was getting too bad to wait on it.

Also, if any of the bolts are adjustments for suspension (tire) geometry, mark them with something and try your best to line them back up when you put it back together. There’s only one bolt on the rear that bolts to the knuckle in my car that controls the camber, luckily. I’m confident that I can get it back together correctly, but am still going to get it thrown on a rack to check it once I’m done.

You can find a hydraulic press if you feel frisky and try to do it. I will be doing it on my Talon, but I need the S4 done ASAP and don't feel like redoing it if I ruin the bearing pressing it in wrong. Most places can get it done in half a day anyways, so it's not much of a wait.

Originally posted by (s)aint ZX:

Ugh. It sounds like I should just let the dealer do it for $130...

I'm slow and it took me 1.5hrs total to take everything apart, will go back together quicker. Granted this is the second one I've done on this car and I have air tools (helps A LOT). Took it into Carquest at 1:30 and they said they'd have it done in a few hours. Will have it put back together tonight. It's worth it to me, but then again, I don't necessarily like other people working on my cars if the job is something I can do.