LT1 Valve Tick - C4 Corvette

zeitgeist57

I noticed what sounds like a valve tick happening on one of the passenger side valves closest to the firewall. My Vette has 68k miles on it.

Should I not be too scared about this? Also, if it's time for a valve adjustment, how hard is it to maybe put in a higher ratio rocker arm and maybe some upgraded springs? Just wondering...

Thanks!

LT4 springs and 1.6 rr can be done for a couple hundred bucks. The adjustment of the lash is not much fun at all. What weight oil do you run? If you run a little higher weight oil that will pump up the lifter more and quiet it down, but that is not a fix just a patch. FWIW Most LT1 owners complain of some valve noise especially at startup.

LT1's in general have a bit of valvetrain noise stock.

Mine is actually very quiet. Adjustment w/ roller rockers is cake (I adjust mine w/ the car running; works out very well).

For the best reasonably priced setup, get a set of Comp Pro Mags non-self alinging 1.6RR's w/ hardended pushrods, and Comp guideplates (don't use Crane guide plates, as I found out the hard way they require more valve cover clearancing without any benefit).

Springs probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Set of LT4 valve covers can also make a difference in the noise as well.