backfiring problem

Guest FBody Addict

Guest FBody Addict

had this problem for a while originally asked question under air pump, but it didnt draw enough attention, car backfires when cruising at lower rpms, not like a random pop here and there but popopopopopopop

timing is correct (did with timing light, not by ear)

compression is good, which means no bent valves and they are sealing adequetly

cap is new

no trouble codes

air pump lines blocked and sealed (i bought the car that way)

cat torn out with a hanger from a hole drilled in it(bought it that way)

vacuum hoses SEEM ok, but shoutld i replace them since they are probably the originals and that may fix it?

Guest FBody Addict
Originally posted by NurkVinny:

More info on this one please ?

bought the car from a buddy of mine, he had drilled a hole in the cat and tore the insides out/ tore em up and then disconnected the pipe just after the cat and blew em out

did unplug the connecter when i timed it

wires are fine, it runs very smoothly actually exept for when cruising

just a thought, when i tightened the dist. hold down bolt, could that have turned the dist. a little bit?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FBody Addict
went to the junkyard and found air pump and all related crap that adds extra weight that i dont want and im installing it tomorrow to see if that will cure the problem, ordoes anyone know if you can buy a complete vacuum hose and charcoal canister hose package, or do i have to buy each one seperately?

Guest FBody Addict

tried it, still did it, but i dont have a stock coil, only the msd and a 50,000 volt coil

but i bought it with the 50,000 volt and it didn't have that problem

didnt get air pump back on yet

maybe put stock chip back in?

Guest FBody Addict

the stock timing is supposed to be set 6 degrees advance timing, and that is where i have set it

how far should i set it back

so does the aftermarket chip maybe require the timing set differently

Originally posted by wickedpyroclown:

bought the car from a buddy of mine, he had drilled a hole in the cat and tore the insides out/ tore em up and then disconnected the pipe just after the cat and blew em out

did unplug the connecter when i timed it

wires are fine, it runs very smoothly actually exept for when cruising

just a thought, when i tightened the dist. hold down bolt, could that have turned the dist. a little bit?

a hole in the cat caused a similiar situation in my car.technically it was an unused 02 sensor bung that wasn't plugged. filling the hole solved the problem.

Guest FBody Addict

picked up brand new balancer today, as well as all vacuum lines for my car, im doing the operation tomorrow (yes, i say operation because my car is alive, i know this because she is jeleous that i have a girlfriend now and spend more time with my gf then her, thats why she acts up all the time) i'll let you know if it fixes the problem, if not, i'll continue to pick your brains

oh yeah, i dont buy from jegs if i can help it, i looked at thier site and found a balancer from them for 200 and the same one direct from the company that made it for 150, they tend to be expensive, which alot of people dont know