water injection

grease monkey

basically i know very little about it, i know that it is supposed to cool, and that the cooling creates power, but thats really all i know. my truck has a roots style blower and theres no way for me to intercool it, so i'm possiably looking at this as an alternative. so dissucussion, comments, whatever is welcome.

the '03 cobras/ saleens/ rouchs are roots blown and they feature an intercooler.

But the general idea is that you inject water or alochol into the airstream and it turns into a fine mist and helps dissipate heat. I would imagine that alochol works better.

alcohol burns hotter and faster though (i think).

why can't you put an intercooler on? water injection isn't something i'd mess with until pushing some serious ponies.

Originally posted by DropTop:

the '03 cobras/ saleens/ rouchs are roots blown and they feature an intercooler.

But the general idea is that you inject water or alochol into the airstream and it turns into a fine mist and helps dissipate heat. I would imagine that alochol works better.

Water works better at removing heat from the air. Its one of those funky basic laws of physics type things. smile.gif

ive read into water injection for my probe, it works very well but it does not work wonders. i dont know how to post a link but go to this site and there is a good how to and why on water injection www.dawesdevices.com

the military has used water injection on aircraft turbo prop engines for years with great results. if done right it is a cheap way to lower charge temps or as an addtion to intercooling. but why cant you intercool your truck

you know the other cheating ass thing that you can do is to cool the air before it gets into the blower. Now I realize this sounds silly at first bite but hear me out.

When you compress air, you change it's tempature, btu only by a certain amount. If its' 50 degrees coming in and 100 coming out, then at that boost level you can expect 50 additional degrees of heat. So if the air is say 90 degrees on the inlet side, then the air will be 140 coming out. I have heard of people running air conditioning in the inlet trace of blower cars to decrease output air temp. Don't know what you are driving or how much you want to mod it, but that is worth considering. The biggest drawback to it is that you would need to know how much HP you are ging to gain by doing is as opposed to the power required to turn the air conditioning compressor.

Originally posted by RX7dood:

alcohol burns hotter and faster though (i think).

why can't you put an intercooler on? water injection isn't something i'd mess with until pushing some serious ponies.

With a 50/50 mix of water and alcohol the alcohol will not burn, and will aid in heat removal as it expands and undergoes its phase change.

In general, using water/alcohol injection alone will not give you more hp because the water molecules do take up space in the intake charge where air and fuel molecules used to be. So although you are cooler, you also have less combustable charge volume, so without changing anything else on the tune you don't really see any gain just by spraying water. It does help to ward off detonation, so where you get the extra power is by being able to run higher boost levels or more timing with the water injection turned on. As was mentioned, you need to be careful that you don't have a setup that will instantly melt a piston if you run out of water though.

I ran water injection for a while - if you don't - or can't have an intercooler, it's the best way to cool the intake charge at boost levels over 8#. By itself, it will cost, not add HP, as Renner said, it will let you add boost and timing. And I agree with him - if you run out of water or the system fails, you are in trouble.

I did a homemade system and documented it on one of our websites - here: http://home.columbus.rr.com/dlasota/page3.htm

aquamist makes the best complete system if you are looking for the simple route but Don's walk through is A+.

On thing that is very important, and I think contributes to your water accumulation, is the atomization of the mist. You want as fine of a mist as possible to create maximum surface area and therefore maximum heat dissipation. That lies all in the nozzle and the pressure of the system.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

well here is what i'm planning.... the truck is right around 7Psi stock boost, i'm looking at increasing it to like 11-12 psi by way of a smaller supercharger pulley. Adding an intake and an exhaust. and thats probally about all i'm gonna do to it. I'd really like to get the intake charge temp down. As it is now, when the air outside is pretty warm, the truck feels like a slug, but when it's cool, it's more peppy, so i'm looking to get the same kind of performance regaurdless of the ambient air temperature. The only way i've seen of intercooling a roots style blower is by basically sandwiching a custom fabricated intercooler between the blower and the intake manifold. My truck does not have enough clearence between the top of the blower and the bottom of the hood to premit any sandwiching of anything other than the stock gasket in that area. I don't know of any other way to intercool a roots style blower, so i'm looking at this as an alternative.

Originally posted by iwishiwascool:

aquamist makes the best complete system if you are looking for the simple route but Don's walk through is A+.

On thing that is very important, and I think contributes to your water accumulation, is the atomization of the mist. You want as fine of a mist as possible to create maximum surface area and therefore maximum heat dissipation. That lies all in the nozzle and the pressure of the system.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

Aquamist has nice systems with the exception of the pump. There was a group buy for the Z guys, and every single person had the pump fail, some at very bad times. If you go with Aquamist, plan on buying a different pump right off the bat.

Originally posted by rarest truck on CR:

well here is what i'm planning.... the truck is right around 7Psi stock boost, i'm looking at increasing it to like 11-12 psi by way of a smaller supercharger pulley. Adding an intake and an exhaust. and thats probally about all i'm gonna do to it. I'd really like to get the intake charge temp down. As it is now, when the air outside is pretty warm, the truck feels like a slug, but when it's cool, it's more peppy, so i'm looking to get the same kind of performance regaurdless of the ambient air temperature. The only way i've seen of intercooling a roots style blower is by basically sandwiching a custom fabricated intercooler between the blower and the intake manifold. My truck does not have enough clearence between the top of the blower and the bottom of the hood to premit any sandwiching of anything other than the stock gasket in that area. I don't know of any other way to intercool a roots style blower, so i'm looking at this as an alternative.

What size are you stock injectors? Nissan typically does not oversize their injectors very much, so 5 psi extra without any fuel mods may be unsafe. Especially with a non-intercooled roots blower which will be generating significantly more heat with the raised boost level and decreased isentropic efficiency.

If you inject AFTER the blower, all is well.

You inject BEFORE it, with either a wet nitrous system, or WI, kiss that blower goodbye.

The water/alch/meth and oxidized fuel eats the expoy on your m62 / m90. Also ruins the teflon coating.

Hit it with a dry nitrous shot, safe on the rotors, good results. smile.gif