ripping out the dash

Science Abuse

I'm ripping the dash out of the cougar. My aproach to the interior has been "remove anything that's flamable", now its "remove anything that isnt edible".

I want everything gone down to the firewall, accept my neccesary wiring, gauges, and steering colomn.

Any tips? Anyone know how these things go in? Knowing htat would make removing htem easier, alt least know the oder in which things should be removed.

thanks

Guest mudbutt
start obviously with any trim. Radio, climate controls, etc and the trim around them. After that see if there are any pannels on the underside of the dash, if so remove them. Next look for any access pannels that may be for bolts to hold the dash itself, or large sections in. This is VERY generalized, but it should help a bit.

drop the steering column to the floor and get all the bolts out you can see.take out the guage cluster,glove box, and everything in the center console. don't forget the big screws up by the windsheild.it should wiggle right out. if there are only a few screws/bolts that you missed they will probably break off.

Originally posted by BiG BeN:

drop the steering column to the floor and get all the bolts out you can see.take out the guage cluster,glove box, and everything in the center console. don't forget the big screws up by the windsheild.it should wiggle right out. if there are only a few screws/bolts that you missed they will probably break off.

thats the approach I've been taking. I've left the steering column in place for now, as I still need to take some measurements. The heating/cooling ducting is blocking alot of the bolts, though, I need to yan it out before i can get going again. Trouble is, that stuff wont fit out of the holes I'm given. tongue.gif This leads me to beleive that the UAW assembled the dash outside of the car, then instaled it all at once, then hooked up the wiring harnesses, and steering column.

Hey rob, did you know there was a TSB on your heating system? I pulled out some ghetto ass bent hunk of steel marked as a "TSB: Heater system baffle". it was held in by 2 philips screws and then caked over with some goo type adhesive. It was so ghetto that when I first saw it, It hough you had done it. tongue.gif

Originally posted by Norse Man:

thats the approach I've been taking. I've left the steering column in place for now, as I still need to take some measurements. The heating/cooling ducting is blocking alot of the bolts, though, I need to yan it out before i can get going again. Trouble is, that stuff wont fit out of the holes I'm given. tongue.gif This leads me to beleive that the UAW assembled the dash outside of the car, then instaled it all at once, then hooked up the wiring harnesses, and steering column.

Hey rob, did you know there was a TSB on your heating system? I pulled out some ghetto ass bent hunk of steel marked as a "TSB: Heater system baffle". it was held in by 2 philips screws and then caked over with some goo type adhesive. It was so ghetto that when I first saw it, It hough you had done it. tongue.gif

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit That car had nothing ghetto on it!

IGNORE THE DUCT TAPE!

and the pedals

and the rest of the car

Originally posted by rl:

Invite my ex over, she already tried once.

is she hot? I hear she loves cars. tongue.gif

Honnestly rob, I was thinking. I'll take whatI need from this pile of crap, and what remains is yours for free, so long as you promise to send it to you ex. ;)

Question concrening the dash. Are you going to stay with a computer motor or go carbs and shit?

Reason I ask is this. If you are going balls out race car, cut the harness out, and start unbolting shit till it's out. Then rewire the car for escentials. Lights, ignition, fuel pump, charging system (yes my alternator field is on a switch, its' work 10 HP at the wheels) cooling fans and the sort. It's a damn site easier to rewire like that, than it is to try to figure out what goes where in the factory harness and its worth a considerable weight savings.