Lug nuts won't stay tight

Guest infamous me 235

Guest infamous me 235

Well since it seems that I got the short end of the stick, what else is wrong? The lug nuts won't stay tight on the front left wheel. I jacked it up took the tire off, put it back on, tightened the lugs, put it back down on the ground tightened them, then they got loose, again. Nothing seems to be going right with this. Is there something I can do to make the lugs stay on tight for longer than 10 minutes?

TIA,

Cody :mad:

i dont think i would use loctite. are they chrome wheels or chrome lug nuts? if so that is your problem. chrome lug nuts never want to stay on tight. the best thing to do is put the lug nuts on, lower car and get a 4-way/breaker bar and tighten them until you here it creak. then drive it for a few hundred miles and do that again.

Originally posted by still2high:

i dont think i would use loctite. are they chrome wheels or chrome lug nuts? if so that is your problem. chrome lug nuts never want to stay on tight. the best thing to do is put the lug nuts on, lower car and get a 4-way/breaker bar and tighten them until you here it creak. then drive it for a few hundred miles and do that again.

I would have to agree with this. I would torque them to 80lbs and then retorque them after 100 miles.

Originally posted by Veni Vidi Vici:

already had that happen to the last one

Same side? Reason I ask is this. If you have torqued the studs to yield several times (studs do stretch a small amount at proper torque, but over torquing will cause them to stretch too much, this is yield) if this is the case. The studs are failing, actually stretching out and getting loose. If this is the case the studs are about to fail.. You need to get em changed. It's not real hard, so you nmight do it yourself and save a few bucks.

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by Desperado:

Same side? Reason I ask is this. If you have torqued the studs to yield several times (studs do stretch a small amount at proper torque, but over torquing will cause them to stretch too much, this is yield) if this is the case. The studs are failing, actually stretching out and getting loose. If this is the case the studs are about to fail.. You need to get em changed. It's not real hard, so you nmight do it yourself and save a few bucks.

on a different car ;) i forgot to say that

looked like there was some oily(sp?) substance on the studs, i'll take them off and wipe them off really good when I get the car back whenever IPS is done with making my car fast smile.gif

Guest infamous me 235
Originally posted by Koritina:

Just weld them on or something.. ;)

If you need some extra studs, I've got like 20 laying around. (this is for the GSX right?)

got a "thing-to-take-the-lugs-off-with-magigger" that fits laying around?