LT1 LS1 swap

DrEvil3264

oen of my buddies has a 93 LT1 Camaro 6speed, and he was wondering how difficult it would be to swap out his LT1 with a 6speed WS6 LS1 Trans Am motor with the tranny. Would everything bolt right up, or would it involve a lot of cutting and custom fitting? Also would a flowmaster catback exhaust fit on a 93 LT1 camaro off of a 5th gen WS6? Thanks for any help...

yeah, the thing is one of my buddies just totaled his WS6, so getting the engine at a cheap price is in reach. His LT1 currently has over a 100,000 miles on it and the LS1 only has 41,000. He mostly wants it to increase the reliability of his car and the value, but from what im hearing the reliability part would probably be worse...

reliability would be slightly better, no optispark to deal with, which from what i have been hearing has been the only real reliability problem with either of the motors. That and the less miles. The internals are definately solid enough in either motor.

So long as you get the complete harness and the matching tranny, the swap can't be too bad. And like I said before, I'll take the LT1 off your hands

a stock LT1 is just as reliable as a stock LS1.. There is tons of 100k+ motors out there just the same as LS1's.

As far as the swap, I'm with Joe on this one... it's too expensive regardless.... remember, you're going to have to fabricate everything new under the hood to hold the motor. if your buddy totaled his car and wants an LS1, tell him to go get one they aren't that expensive anymore (you can probably get a '98 Z or TA for 8-10k)