A/C question

Kuruma

One thing I really loathe about my Neon is the A/C... Mostly the "not working" part about it. The A/C has never worked since I got it, because I never bothered to get around to charging it until a while ago. When I did, it ran nice and cold...

Until all the refrigerant shot out of the system, and up into the air. (I didn't know about this issue, or I wouldn't have tried)

The guys at the place I had tried to get it charged at were cool and didn't charge me since the A/C didn't work, and said from where it came out from I'd probably need to just replace the compressor seals on it, and it should be fine. Anyone able to give any advice on going about this?

Guest FBody Addict

did it come from a hose connecting to the compressor?

If it's a seal in the compressor the cheapest route would be a junkyard

or do you mean compression seals, not compressor seals

Guest FBody Addict

if its leaking, the system has no pressure, so you can disconnect the line

go to the autoparts store, get the seals and replace em, just make sure you torque it back down to the right spec

Thanks... Just replaced them and tried to charge the system, but no luck. I can hear the compressor kicking in, but it cuts off almost right away, and there's a BIG drop in pressure at the same time... Something else must be causing it... Any ideas on what else might be the problem that I could handle myself, or should I just save up to replace the compressor with a working one from a junkyard?

Well, the stuff is getting into the system just fine, it just isn't staying in the system like it needs to, IE, the pressure builds up, the compressor starts to run, and then it shuts back off immediately, and a high pitched sound can be heard as the pressure drops back down to nothing. Already wasted one of those really big cans of r134-a Meijer sells with the re-usable gauge into the system, and it must have just gotten expelled back out into the air. Might try to get some of that stuff with the UV dye in it, and the special light and glasses to look for where the leak is coming from. I know the general area it's coming from though, because I remember when the Valvoline shop down the street tried to charge it, they got it running nice and cold, but then the stuff all shot right out at once (quite visibly, and was a pretty disturbing sight to see) and it was coming from the area where the compressor is located on the Neon.

I'm wondering if the compressor itself may be damaged, as it's a possibility, because of the incident with the engine mounts, and the pothole, and having to get a new engine because of it. It's possible that part of it may have hit the ground as well, because three of the engine mounts were bad (read: Broken) at the time, and the old engine was sagging BADLY, as was the compressor. Is it possible for it to be cracked open, but still able to turn on and run for a few seconds/minutes/whatever?

Yeah, it's still leaking. Really badly actually. Tried to fill it when the sun was out and bright, and you could see the vapor from the r134-a as it escapes into the air (It did that before I got on it in the first place though, so I don't think it's something I did.) Wouldn't be opposed to letting someone with more knowledge take a look at it, since I have to admit I'm a noob when it comes to anything not involved in *driving* the car.