Spark Plugs

Guest FBody Addict

Guest FBody Addict
Got an old '86 Trans Am 305 T.P.I. and I'm trying to figure out what the best plug is to use. The local autozone guy reccomends an AC Delco Rapidfire Plug, while others have suggested some kind of NGK plug (the specific plug name i don't remember), and others have suggested accel or cooper plugs. I want to avoid platinum plugs as i have not had the desired throttle response

Guest FBody Addict
its an aftermarket chip, and a 50,000 volt coil with an msd ignition module, but why would i want to go with a colder plug if i have to run at least 93 octane and wont be as prone to ping

colder plugs help control detonation and make more power its like a double saftey net the plugs are the same price so it doesn't hurt to run them.

in your case an 86 T/A calls for an R43TS in a delco. you would want to go with an R42TS it never hurts to a range colder than stock.

Guest FBody Addict
so the stock plug would give the most powerful spark, and the rapid fire is just a gimmick to sell a more expensive plug, as well as the ngk platinum whatever or the accel u-groove?

Lets put it this way, you would be hard pressed to find, U-groove, Split Fire, or any of that stuff in a NASCAR, NHRA or IHRA pro motor. Regular copper core, Champions or AC delco's are fine. I prefer Champions, mostly because the part numbers are easier to understand.

Guest mudbutt
Different people have different luck with different plugs.With NGK same heat range, same gap as a set of champions, I got rid of misfires at the top end.