Honda timing belt

Guest powers

got a friend with a 2002 1.7 civic. Was wondering if this is an interferance motor. he has some funky sound comming from under the timming cover and just wondered if the belt snaps if he's screwed.

thanks

not completely sure about the d17 (the 1.7 you're talking about) but I know the older Honda's are all a huge problem if you snap the belt. Thats why my Prelude has been sidelined for 11 months, because my timing belt snapped and I've had more important things to spend my money on. Definately tell him to get it checked out as soon as possible.

yes that motor is interference...I still don't understand why companies put timing belts in interference motors, i can understand chains...because technically a chain never goes bad......lol...If i had an interference engine with a timing belt i'd be changing it and the waterpump every 60k.

I agree with Rayman, you're going to know it if the timing belt is broke! Timing belts should be good for at least 60-100K.

It could be the valves need adjusting-or other. Hunting down engine noises can be a real PITA!

If it's a 2002, it may still be under warranty. If so, let the dealer worry about it.