4.3L Chevy HEI Distb. problems

zeitgeist57

ok, HEI has 2 terminals on the cap, one is 12 volts the other is the tach wire. Check the 12 volt wire to see if you are getting power

If so, pull the ignition module and take it to autozone and have it tested. If it ain't firing at ALL it's most likely one of these two problems

New: Cap, Rotors, Coil, DISTRIBUTOR. No worky.

Even on my old Distributor, ignition module and pickups were tested and all in spec.

The 12V wire leading to the coil looks to actually be coming from the regulator on top of the starter motor. Hence my question about the starter motor possibly having anything to do with the power going to the distributor smile.gif (although I installed a new starter motor last year too)

Here is something wierd, too...There are two wires going to the "BATT" side of the HEI coil. I cut the red one (left the pink one in place) and attached a lead to the positive terminal of the battery. When my friend scratches the end of the wire lead back and forth quickly against the battery terminal, you can hear the coil make popping noises and see sparks come from the spark plug it's pointing to. If I try to start it while my friend is scraping the wire this way, it will actually kick and sputter to life, but it will die immediately if he stops scraping.

WTF, mate?

[ 23. September 2004, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Zeitgeist57 ]

You found your problem. That wire you cut is the 12v power to the coil. That wire should run through your ignition switch or possibly through a relay connected in circuit with your ignition switch. to fix it reconnect the wire like it was supposed to be and then turn the key to the on/run position and start checking voltages. Start with the voltage at the terminal on the distributor and if there is nothing there you could start checking back through the circuit or start at the fuse labeled ignition or something. Then work your way up looking for 12volts. You could find a bad ignition key switch.

Evan