Need some brake help...

black00ws6

The past few weeks, everytime I hit the brakes in the jeep, it feels like the whole thing is going to shake apart. (+ 50mph) I replaced the front and rear rotors and pads but it still does it. Could the tires be out of alignment? balanced? I know the rear has a bad bearing but I wouldn't figure that would cause the massive vibration. It's a 2001 jeep grand cherokee.

Guest FBody Addict
broken belt in the tire, had it happen to my buick, it will sometimes break in a way it will give support when the wheel is pushing the ground (accelerating or constant)but when you apply the brake the forces on the wheel reverse and the wheel is being pushed by the ground (hopefully this makes sense)

Originally posted by Homey D. Clown:

Ha, no warranty.. That jeep has been to hell and back. It has about 102k miles on it. :D If it were a balance issue, then wouldn't the ride by rough as shit too?

I didn't mean that it is a ballence problem but rather a belt one. but if you take it to the tire store and have them look for a bad belt only you will pay the same amount as if they were to remove it re balance it (on the machine is were you can cee bad belts the easeist) and put back on in a rotated position.You might as well get more bang for your buck.

First identify where the vibration is coming from. While driving slowly pull up on your parking brake and see if the vibration occurs. If so, then it is from the rear. If not, the front.

If there is only vibration when braking, the it is doubtful that is is alignment, tire, or balance related.

I would remove the rotors and check the hub surface and rotor mating surface for any debris or high spots. It is not uncommon for a piece of rust to get in-between the surfaces and cause a severe vibration, only when braking. Clean the surfaces with a wire brush before re-installing.

Also while the rotors are off, check the hubs for any play or excessive runout.

Just my 2 cents.....

Originally posted by Blowzilla:

I know the rear has a bad bearing but I wouldn't figure that would cause the massive vibration.

If it is extremely loose(or lose for those of you who are grammatically impaired :rolleyes: ) it can, but it will usually make a lot of noise while driving as well.