Where can I get a sheet of 1/4 inch aluminum or steel

smokin5s

Ok, I need to make a new cross memeber because my x-pipe is banging against it... where could I pick up a 1/4 inch piece of aluminum or steel that I could fabricate into a new cross member for pretty cheap... (it could probably be thinner than that if need be.

Originally posted by Akula:

There is a trailer sales place on 40 that sells it. I know Home Depot, Lowes and Sears Hardware have smaller pieces of metal for hobbiests.

I only need probably 8x12-16'ish.... so it's not that big of a piece that I need.

Are you still running that flimsy stock piece?

Nate with his 99 T/A didn't even know that when MTI did his exahaust, they completely removed it. When I did his tranny mount and Spohn torque arm, I crawl under there to find in MIA. He drove it for quite a while never knowing it wasn't there. I doubt that factory piece does a whole lot structural wise.

You could always buy this, the BMR tunnel brace:

http://bmrfabrication.com/misc/tunnel-brace.jpg

Or buy a Spohn torque arm w/ the Mufflex Y-pipe option to allow crossmember clearance, like my setup. Otherwise, I'd just go without, as I doubt that sheetmetal is going to be of any benefit.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Are you still running that flimsy stock piece?

Nate with his 99 T/A didn't even know that when MTI did his exahaust, they completely removed it. When I did his tranny mount and Spohn torque arm, I crawl under there to find in MIA. He drove it for quite a while never knowing it wasn't there. I doubt that factory piece does a whole lot structural wise.

You could always buy this, the BMR tunnel brace:

http://bmrfabrication.com/misc/tunnel-brace.jpg

Or buy a Spohn torque arm w/ the Mufflex Y-pipe option to allow crossmember clearance, like my setup. Otherwise, I'd just go without, as I doubt that sheetmetal is going to be of any benefit.

What you showed would be worse than what I have... Yes, I do have to have one... My Drive Shaft Safety loop is bolted to it. After what happened to Rob, NO WAY IN HELL would I not have a DS Safety loop.