Uppipe install on a '05 LGT - need help with a leak (long)

Maro

Steve, that stock up-pipe you will not need. The purpose of a pre-cat is to reduce cold start up emmisions. In the event you drive to an emissions place to have your car tested, the Car will already be warmed up enough to heat the main 2 cats after the turbo. Thus the absence of a Pre-Cat will not affect your emmisions. Just an FYI.

Originally posted by Maro:

Good point, Ben. Now that you mention it, I think I read that before.

Honestly, though, I am more worried about warranty issues (read: denials).

Honestly subaru would have to rip the engine apart to notice it was replaced. It is pretty well hidden. Plus they would have to prove the up-pipe damaged the engine. That = Not going to happen. If anything it will save you in repair money. When the average Legacy owner has the pre cat disintegrate and send metal through the turbo destroying it, you will not have to worry about that. It seems to me a good way to replace Turbos in 5 or 6 years through subaru out of warranty! graemlins/thumb.gif Good for them!

I just don't understand why the STI does not have a Pre-cat.

Originally posted by SpaceGhost:

I just don't understand why the STI does not have a Pre-cat.

It is more of a performace car...hence, maybe Subaru figured that the driving sysle would be hard on the pre-cat causing premature failures?

Just a guess....

Anyhow...don't complain! ;)

Oh...BTW... when we going to meet up so I can get a ride in your STI? graemlins/thumb.gif