Help, Brakes!?!?

Guest Rane

Well, it just so happened that on the way home I ended up at 3 different stoplights with 3 different cars all of wich wanted to race me.

Anyways, while I was at these lights I would hold the break and give it a little gas(Its a RWD automatic 1990 240sx.) so I was at around 2,000 rpms. High enough that It was ready to go but low enough not to spin the tires.

So, while lined up with the third car I get a big slap in the face. All of the sudden my brakes pedal just goes to the floor and my car moves forwards a bit. So I am thinking what the fuck? If I hold my pedal down just a little bit it gives me a really shitty ammount of brakes buf it I push it more then 1/4 I have no brakes at all. The E-brake works fine, and the brakes came back on twice while I was driving home. Both of wich they went back out as soon as I put the brake pedal to the floor to see how well they were working.

you may have busted a line or you could have lost the master cylinder. Best thing to do is do a visual of the entire system see if you are losing fluid. If you are not then you need to check out the master.

That'd be cool Riden call 937-0333 or 367-9374 ask for Lorie about the car.

I live in the same house smile.gif . Lucky for me I have another 240 in the garage that I could probably take that master cylinder from.

No. If the master cylinder was bad it just can't hold or make pressure in the system. You either have a line or hose leaking or you have a alot of pad ware which means more fluid is in each caliper, or a piston on a caliper is leaking.

I'll sorta agree with greg but if you have vacum assisted power brakes it could be leaking inside the booster through the back of the master cylinder.

your first step is to locate the leak. refill the resivor and take all 4 wheels off the car while its on a lift or up on stands or ramps have someone pump the pedal and look for fluid spraying out somewhere. most likely you have a ruptured brake line or hose but a leaky caliper or wheel cylinder could be culprit.