good inline sixes

Dave1647545494

Guest mudbutt
The 7m-gte headgasket issue is due to low torque specs. Tighter ARP bolts will do you fine, add to that a metal headgasket and you are golden. Stock internals are reliable over 400 (some gone over 500) with issues of the shitty oil cooling system addressed. They are plentiful, cheap, easy to work on and easy to find parts for. If money were no option then an rb26 or 2j would be superior.

I'd go with the slant-six myself, but I'd be wondering about fitment issues. They do lean over a bit, you could end up with the same type of clearance issues, but only on one side. And since the \6 was never available with FI in the States, and the Mexican/Brazil versions are a little tough to get, you'd have to go carb'd. Unless somebody has made a plug'n'play FI kit, and I'd hope that would have been in at least one of the Mopar mags!

Originally posted by 88TurboTbird:

maybe a trailblazer vortec 4.2 they make 275hp/275tq with no problems as long as you could find one cheap

those are great engines, but huge. I haven't seen Dave's car yet, but there is a good chance it won't fit. Also, those being a new engine that is only put into one vehicle that isn't selling that great, the chance of finding one is nill, even compared to a 2JZ

lots of good ideas here I'm for sure in the early research stage here so I'll be looking into all alternatives. ideally I'd like to start with a totally stock setup make it all work in the car and then mod from there. the car also needs a complete interior resto and paintjob so its going to get a it'll start and run drivetrain to begin with. lots of different stuff here I apreciate all the info

thanks

I like the Trailblazer six or the Ford that Eli mentioned. Cruisers love cubes, and those motors are both as state-of-the-art as any of the Japanese motors.

If you want to go with an older carbed motor, Pontiac had a performance I6 in the Tempest in the mid-60s (Sprint Six, maybe?). I have no idea where you'd find one or what it would cost, but that would be an interesting motor to have.

Guest Dark_Viper01
I would also say go with the 225 aka 3.7L slant six, one of the most reliable engines ever built. I had on in my old ram, it's up to 312,000 miles now. It's never been rebuilt, and runs fine. It's outlived 3 trannys though. They do make EFI conversions, and there is a good sized aftermarket for the 225. I know a guy with a 72 duster running 8lbs of boost on stock internals for the last two years, and he hasn't had a problem. There is also something to be said for sticking with mopar.

Guest mudbutt
depending on what tranny you use, I know people have adapted powerglides to the 7m, so Im sure something else could be made to fit if desired. If you arent wanting over ~ 300hp then the stock auto will work, though it isnt the greatest(wont get into this debate again smile.gif ) The motor is fairly cheap to upgrade to around that power point also, and up to 400 can be done relativly inexpensive. Past that things can change. If you need any help locating a motor or associated components, I will try to be of assistance.