good inline sixes

Dave1647545494

ok so this 51 plymouth has an inline six flathead. putting a v-8 into an old car like this is usually the normal course of action, however to do that in this car you have to fabricate new inner fender wells for a wider motor. so I'm thinkin theres gotta be a few good inline sixes out there so help me out what kind of options do I have. any option s fine import or domestic power I'm easy. cross flow head is prefered but I'll research anything.

thanks

I hear there is a lot that can be done with a slant 6, but I wouldn't know what. I think Tinman was telling me about it one day.

A 2JZ would be sweet, but not cheap. The 7M may be a better possibility for both price and availability, but they eat headgaskets, and nobody seems to have really pushed them past about 500 horse, so I don't know the limitations.

A boosted EFI ford 300 would be interesting, but I would hate to put a ford motor into a chrysler. It's just not right.

The old Datsun 280Z's had straight 6's in them, but I don't know a thing about them.

2JZ gets my vote. if power isn't a big concern, the n/a motor (2JZ-GE) is easy to find. you can always boost it later...

a nissan RB would be amusing to say the least... smile.gif

BMW has some good inline sixes, but they aren't cheap. if you want big power, look elsewhere...

Jeep.

Also, if you can get that turbo six out of Australia; you know, the one that makes more power than the 5.4 DOHC...Yeah...That'd be the one to have.

Marc, shutup. V6 is a waste. If you can't get a V8 in the fenderwells, why could you fit a V6? They're the same width.

cross flow means it goes in one side and ou the other

like this intake----head----- exhuast

the other type is a down flow head

intake head

exhuast

both on the same side the downflow type head is less efficient thanks for the ideas I forgot about a jeep 4.0L it keeps it all chrysler too

forgot about the Heep 4.0

People claim they are reliable, but I don't see how. They may keep running, but barely. I have never heard of them being used for a performance motor. They don't rev for shit, which is fine for the offroad world, where you need nothing but low end torque, but I don't think that it would be that much fun on the road. A little off the line torque, then it's done. Coupled with a major lack in aftermarket parts.

Oh, and they leak oil like no other

I would go with the slant six also. Keep it in the Mopar family. I had a 79 Dodge Diplomat that had a Slant six "Super Six" great car and great power for a 6.

The 4.0L is a good engine. But as stated above, it may not work for your application. Maybe with some tuneing and a better transmission you may be able to open it up a little better.