F-BODY GUYS

RUTAN TA1647545492

Originally posted by RUTAN TA:

THANKS

oh.. hey I was just kiddin.. smile.gif I thought you were being facetious. Yes it's a very known problem w/ M6 cars. Keep your credit card handy if you plan on hard clutch drops w/ sticky tires on your factory rear.

You honestly rebuilt a stock 10-bolt 5 times?? No where during that time did you think "maybe I shouldn't be doing this."

Though you CAN beef up a stock 10-bolt, by the time you dump all that money into it (good axles, good posi, cover, girdle, plus a few other tricks) you have way too much money into the rear. Keep your eyes out on a used 12-bolt or 9".

I ran lower 12's on my bone stock 10-bolt (are you running higher than 3.42's in your rear....that just compounds the problem). But I was only running Nittos and a soft clutch then. I knew not to beat on the rear end, so I upgraded to the 12-bolt before I broke it and sold my 10 bolt. I had a 12-bolt under my car before I even had headers on it.

Dude, I have no clue why you would be having that MANY problems. I am running a 4.10 in a ten bolt. Tranny shifts hard enough to bark the tires at like 2 grand. So basically I beat the shit out of it. My posi clutch is slipping every now and then, but the rear seems to be ok. And I ahve been beating on this car like this for two years.

What gear are you running and what brand?

Dont you have a 8.2 10 bolt(80 Camaro)not a 7.5?I have a richmond 4.10s,seriously I have broke 3 posi's,a gear set,driveshaft,and a set of axles.Now it has a zexel diff.,richmond 4.10,moser axles,steel 3"driveshaft. I think maybe I hurt the housing the first time it broke,it's never been the same since then. I have a Moser 9in. in my garage waiting on a center section.The reason I didn't do a 12 bolt or 9in. before was the wife wasn't very understanding,until she took it down the track now she wants it fixed so she can go again!

Well, your right, I do have the 8.2. I forgot about that. As far as a center section. How back do you want one? Cuz I have one, it's a stock 3.50 open. But I believe it to be a nodular center. Come take a look and make an offer. It is a complete rear though. So we can work out the details if you want it.

Guest HERWS6

My 10 bolt w/4.10's is twisted and whines so loud that you can't hear the radio. 12,000 hard track miles with Nittos.

Put slicks on it last fall ran it, then parked it. Still rolls for me!

Originally posted by N/A Again:

GM Superior gears: $250

GM Master rebuild kit: $150

Zexel-Torsen HD posi: $500

Summit Racing girdle: $120

Now, I bought all of mine used or in a GP, and spent about $600 on my 10-bolt. But again, I have an A4, so it will last longer.

Now add some axles in there, and you are at $1400. Ouch (yes, you didn't pay those prices, but I'm just saying). A few hundred more bucks you can have a brand spanking new 12-bolt that is still guaranteed to be stronger than a beefed up 10-bolt.

My 12-bolt by far was the best way to go. I've abused it a lot. Only problem I had was a wheel bearing go out on it; I don't believe they use that kind of bearing anymore, and it is an easy to access part on the rear that cost me $30 at Jegs; never had a problem since.

M6 cars are hell on rear ends.

I'll never understand why people with 6 speeds beef up their 10 bolts. No offense, I just don't see the logic. :confused: Save your money and get a better rear. Hell, I don't even have aftermarket heads yet and have a built rear. Few people with modified F-Bodies actually do that. They usually go heads/cam, make a ton of dyno power, yet can't drive it at the track because they will break for sure. I call them "Dyno Queens". :D

As most anyone who was at Norwalk last October knows, I broke my stock 3.42 geared 10 bolt with a mere 383 RWHP. Broke it in the burnout box. This past Spring I went and bought a brand new, custom made 8.8 for my Formula. Adam Daron (NA TA on this board) bought the same rear last year and ran consistent 11.3's with it. No whine, no noise, no nothing. It's basically the same rear that a lot of 8 second Mustangs use, much better than any 12 bolt you can buy. And for about the same money you'd pay for a similar 12 bolt. Oh yeah, it weighs a mere 10 pounds more than my stock 10 bolt did. :eek: Eaton posi, 31 spline axles, upgraded yolk, and 4.10 gears ran me just under $2200. It will put up with far more power than my car will ever make... graemlins/thumb.gif

Originally posted by Wease:

It's basically the same rear that a lot of 8 second Mustangs use, much better than any 12 bolt you can buy. And for about the same money you'd pay for a similar 12 bolt.

Ask Adam how his rear end has treated him this year..........

9" > 12-bolt > 8.8" IMO. There are tons of very fast cars running 12-bolts. I'd much rather have my 33 spline, Eaton Posi 12-bolt over your 8.8" converted used rear-end.

Now had there been a reasonable ABS option back when I bought my 12-bolt for the 9", I very well may have went for that instead. Swapable center sections are the goodness (I would have loved to have my current 3.73 posi setup for the street, then swap a 4.10 or 4.30 spool setup for the track).

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Ask Adam how his rear end has treated him this year..........

9" > 12-bolt > 8.8" IMO. There are tons of very fast cars running 12-bolts. I'd much rather have my 33 spline, Eaton Posi 12-bolt over your 8.8" converted used rear-end.

Now had there been a reasonable ABS option back when I bought my 12-bolt for the 9", I very well may have went for that instead. Swapable center sections are the goodness (I would have loved to have my current 3.73 posi setup for the street, then swap a 4.10 or 4.30 spool setup for the track).

Adam's axle was replaced for free by Moser. Not sure how that happened and to my knowledge, no other 8.8's have caused an axle to bend, if that even was the case.

Good thing that's your opinion and you are in the minority. :D Where did you get the idea that my rear end was used? Everything in it is new. And I had a 12 bolt lined up for $1600. Come to find out it was broke already after a mere 10 passes. :rolleyes: No thanks, I'll pass on the 12 bolt and stick with the tried and true... graemlins/thumb.gif