Debate of the day: Synthetic Oil Life

Mowgli1647545497

Originally posted by Mowgli:

I just like getting under the car in the springtime.

Any excuse to be outside, and all that.

Oil changes are a nice lazy "car" activity when the weather turns good.

Yeah, it's fine in during warmer times. But I'm due for my second oil change in the cold and I don't have a garage. Not very much fun.

It's ok, I changed my spark plugs the other day in sub freezing temps. I can handel it. graemlins/thumb.gif [/badass] graemlins/lol.gif

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Jiffy Lube!

Fuck oil change places. I've heard too many horror stories. A bunch of stoners tightening down two things that could spell a quick disaster for my engine, no thanks.

The one time when I did that with the talon the put one of those Fram Sure grip filters on my car. The only tool I had to remove that size oil filter was one of those hex head looking plastic pieces that you can connect to a socket wrench. That type of tool won't work on those filters. So I had to get out from under the car and go buy one of the 'strap' oil filter tools. PITA. Not to mention I haven't heard great things about Fram oil filters.

At any rate, they won't let me take my own oil and filter into Jiffy Lube, or else I might have last time. Any place around that will but won't charge way too much for that service? I found a place that will let me use my own, but they wanted something like $30 for a job that takes 15 minutes and they aren't providing any materials. Sure, does that come with anal lube?

Originally posted by Neo:

Fuck oil change places.

Fuck Quicky-Lubes that only employ 18 year-olds for the summer. There are still a few (a very few) smaller garages out there that do quality work (here's a hint... a good service takes longer than 15 minutes, no matter what they say). This is the list (from memory) of our typical 24.95 service -

Washer fluid

Brake fluid

Slave fluid (if app)

P/S fluid

Check and test antifreeze

Check belts

Check hoses

Inspect wipers

Check ALL lights

Check/inspect tires (inc spare)

Clean / replace air filter

Lube squeaky doors

Check hood/trunk shocks

Wash windows

Test battery

Replace oil and filter

Lube chassis

Check transfer care (if app)

Check diff.'s

Inspect shocks/struts

Check auto or man. trans fluid

Check horn

Etc

MOST instant or quicky joints only remember 'replace oil and filter' out of that list. Back in the day, I replaced too many stripped drain plugs to count thanks to these places. Also had MANY people come in because the places put 2 too many or 2-4 too few quarts of oil back in.

Expect exactly what you receive for a 10-15 minute job.

Here's one on the quick lube places.

Wife went to get her's done. They stripped out the plug in the oil pan, typical bullshit, Those temp plugs suck ass BTW. There was a guy in yhr next bay in a 70's Nova, built motor, lots of chrome and shit. The guy had built it himself and just didn't feel like crawling under it taht time to change the oil. They tell him the same shit. And that the last guy had put the wrong oil filter on it and stripped the threads on the mount. Turns out that this was the first time the car had been touched by anyone but the owner according to him. So then, he brought in oil for em to put in, he didn't want theirs, they refused to put it in, "for liability reasons". Needless to say he was pissed. So they finally get him gone. Get under the next car and knock the wires for the crank sensor (I think) loose, finished with the oil change, car wouldn't start. Push the car out of the quick lube. Lady and her small child are stuck. Some guy offered the hanging wire and plugged it back in and got it on her way.

Needless to say we don't go to Valvoline any more. But I have seen and heard about similar things at other places.

Originally posted by Matt Sterbator:

14k miles on Amsoil before it was changed, and it was still usable.

I have mine tested and change it then. I've had nearly 10k on cheap-o dino oil and it was still fine, had 11k on Mobil1 synthetic and it was still fine.