First drive: 1992 Plymouth Laser RS turbo, AWD

Guest 1sweet3.4

Guest 1sweet3.4
Picked up the laser RS today. Before me for the last 67k of its 140k it was driven by a lady in her 90's but she sure knew how to drive it. She didn't want to give it up but her kids said she's too old for a 5 spd, turbo'd car. So, being a friend of the family, they offered me the car for 1200 bucks. She kept real good care of it, and it shows. I took it for a ride and LOVED it. The turbo spun happy as hell and was really damn quick for a car with the mileage. I'm guessign it's because the old lady really didn't drive the hell out of it, and I'm the first male owner. As for the color, it's turquoise but you can't have it all. I'm just happy it's got the turbo, 5spd and AWD. For the short stint I drove it home it had a lot of speed for the price. Only thing I can tell is wrong with it is that it burns oil, I think out of the turbo, it runs way too strong for it to be anything else. I never realised the turbo music those little cars have. I'm looking forward to having it as my Daily Driver until the camaro project is finished. Then, It's on like donkey Kong!!

Originally posted by DragKnee66:

$2k into laser > modding camaro

meh... I disagree... 2k worth of mods will get you maybe about the speed of a lightly mod'd camaro, but for 2k, PaceSetter uncoated headers, Pace Setter OR-Y=450; cam, springs, lock, retainers, pushrods = 600 (bought for this price at Comp Cams; N2O 1k... there's your 2k worth of mods and you're running DEEP 11's with it.... doubt you can do that with a DSM and keep any sort of reliability... of course with the f-body, the clutch will be begging for mercy, but hey.... that can be replaced later tongue.gif

Guest 1sweet3.4
yeah, I'm pretty stoked with it. The problem with the camaro is it is the v6 model. for 2 large I could have the camaro running high 12's, since i'm already so far into the project. The only advantage the v6 has is that it weighs about 200 lbs less than a v8. but the real goal for the camaro is turning ability and that goal is now only a couple hundred bucks away. It seems every dsm on CR has been down for some period of time due to some catastrophic failure, so I need the camaro (daily driver) first. Then I can drop some cash on the laser. Now lets wait and see if Nitrous bird sees this and shreds apart the v6 camaro idea.