Saturn ION Redline

OSUGT

I drove an ION Redline today. Not a bad little car at all.

Pretty responsive, nice stock exhaust tone, handles nice, and nice bolstered seats.

You guys seen them, driven them? Any thoughts about em?

Later,

Jason

I completely agree with Chris. The Cobalt SS is a much better car. (out this fall)

I drove the Red Line and compared to my Mazda I was only impressed with the seats. The clutch sucked, the shifter sucked, and the handling didn't come close. The Cobalt SS has a MUCH nicer interior, looks a lot better, has the same engine (205hp) and is boostable to at least 280hp. (probably performance packages from the dealer) The stock EcoTech internals are good to ~500hp, I'm told.

[ 29. August 2004, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Mallard ]

Originally posted by Mallard:

I completely agree with Chris. The Cobalt SS is a much better car. (out this fall)

I drove the Red Line and compared to my Mazda I was only impressed with the seats. The clutch sucked, the shifter sucked, and the haldeling didn't come close. The Cobalt SS has a MUCH nicer interior, looks a lot better, has the same engine (205hp) and is boostable to at least 280hp. (probably performance packages from the dealer) The stock EcoTech internals are good to ~500hp, I'm told.

Yep, the EcoTech internals own. For a 4 banger, it's a pretty cool little motor.

Unfortunately, the Saturn is still... a Saturn. It's like taking a Neon and putting in a better motor. It's still a piece of shit Neon. But no one would be stupid enough to make a....... oh wait.

Guest jpurdy2003

The stock EcoTech internals are good to ~500hp, I'm told.

Unfortunately, this has only been done by mega-funded (factory-backed or not) race teams, and for the most part, nobody on the street or a traditional shop has come close to that mark.

Originally posted by Golden Brown Jack Trump:

Unfortunately, this has only been done by mega-funded (factory-backed or not) race teams, and for the most part, nobody on the street or a traditional shop has come close to that mark.

That's because there are no stock boosted EcoTech's on the street. (Besides the Saab 9-3 and Ion Redline. The Saab is hardly a 'tuner' car, and the Ion has only been released recently) Give it more time and you'll see it happen. All that matters is that is was proven possible. I don't care if it was factory backed or not.

THanks for the Cobalt pics! smile.gif Try to look at the interior shots without remembering that it's a Chevy. It is easy to look at the fit and finish and think that it's a Volkswagen. I have to admit that the quality has come (thankfully) a long way with our domestic automakers.

Hot Rod had a suggestion that I'm waiting for as well...AWD Cobalt SS as a WRX-fighter. THAT would be my everyday driver. graemlins/thumb.gif

Originally posted by zeitgeist57:

THanks for the Cobalt pics! smile.gif Try to look at the interior shots without remembering that it's a Chevy. It is easy to look at the fit and finish and think that it's a Volkswagen. I have to admit that the quality has come (thankfully) a long way with our domestic automakers.

Hot Rod had a suggestion that I'm waiting for as well...AWD Cobalt SS as a WRX-fighter. THAT would be my everyday driver. graemlins/thumb.gif

The thing I was most impressed with besides the quality of the interior on the SS was the feel and sound when I opened and closed the door. No rattles, no squeaks, didn't feel cheap, the car felt solid.

And Chris, again, I agree with you 100%. The 9-3 was on my short list when I went shopping for a car.

I drove the Red Line and compared to my Mazda I was only impressed with the seats. The clutch sucked, the shifter sucked, and the handling didn't come close. The Cobalt SS has a MUCH nicer interior, looks a lot better, has the same engine (205hp) and is boostable to at least 280hp. (probably performance packages from the dealer) The stock EcoTech internals are good to ~500hp, I'm told.

well is you dont like how the ion drove you will not like the cobalt they are the same car (platform) Mind you the int in the Cobalt is words above the Ion. the clutch shifter suspension are all the same.

Originally posted by Speci@lized.:

well is you dont like how the ion drove you will not like the cobalt they are the same car (platform) Mind you the int in the Cobalt is words above the Ion. the clutch shifter suspension are all the same.

#1: English is your friend tongue.gif

#2: Yes, they are on the same PLATFORM, but the beautiful thing about platform engineering is that 2 cars can drive completely different. The interior of the Cobalt if 40376239854089437855 times better then the Ion. The lack of plactic body panals helps body gaps, appearance, and NVH. The suspension can modified differently, and they coud generally refine a lot of the things that the Ion lacks.

The problem is not the clutch par-se, but the pedal feel. The shifter was rubbery. etc. These are all minor details that can be fixed, and I'm hoping they have.

#1: English is your friend tongue.gif

#2: Yes, they are on the same PLATFORM, but the beautiful thing about platform engineering is that 2 cars can drive completely different. The interior of the Cobalt if 40376239854089437855 times better then the Ion. The lack of plactic body panals helps body gaps, appearance, and NVH. The suspension can modified differently, and they coud generally refine a lot of the things that the Ion lacks.

The problem is not the clutch par-se, but the pedal feel. The shifter was rubbery. etc. These are all minor details that can be fixed, and I'm hoping they have.

right now english and me are not on good terms. (things were said so we are not talking to each other) tongue.gif

As for Platfrom Engineering and GM the 2 cars will more than likely share supspension, brakeing,obviously engine and drivetrain.

Clutch pedal feel(its a getrag thats by design, it's like that in all 2000 and up sunfires and cavs.the shifter feels the same in the regualr Ion.

The nice thing about the Ion being out now for the last year or so SPS should already have Preformace parts aot for it. Also I'm sure RKSport will hop on the bandwagon as well.

Originally posted by Speci@lized.:

The nice thing about the Ion being out now for the last year or so SPS should already have Preformace parts aot for it. Also I'm sure RKSport will hop on the bandwagon as well.

Actually GM Performance Division should have some nice things out for it. I was told by a higher up at GM that the SS would have 280hp and they wanted it to beat the SRT-4. My guess is that hp will come through dealer supplied performance packages, much like Mopar has. The EcoTech has also had a few years of racing development under its belt and there's a lot of stuff out from GM for it.

As for the clutch, there are things that can be done for pedal feel. Same with the shifter. I work for the company that makes the Ion clutch and the SS probably will be the same, but the feel can be helped while still using most of the same hardware. I am also fairly critical of those aspects. After driving a CTS-V my only gripes were clutch and shifter feel. It's something that's hard to get right, but for some reason my $16k Protege has it right, while a $50k sports sedan doesn't.

Originally posted by Obsequy Empire:

None, they are not out yet.

I haven't done a search anywhere, probably will after I get done posting this. (This is the first I have heard of the Cobalt.) How much are they expected to go for? Just curious...

Thanks,

Greg

I am also fairly critical of those aspects. After driving a CTS-V my only gripes were clutch and shifter feel. It's something that's hard to get right, but for some reason my $16k Protege has it right, while a $50k sports sedan doesn't.

It's probably a design compromise between what you, grandpa, the teenybopper and the soccer mom considers 'right'. That doesn’t surprise me at all with the Cobalt, but I’m surprised to see you say this is the case on the CTS-V. Probably just GM mental retardation (I’m not bashing GM, every very large car company really).