BIG possible engine problem

Guest aftermidnight

Guest aftermidnight

ok, i did my viper exhaust mod on my truck last night. i had it all mocked up and started the truck...sounds great....no here's the bad news....

i took the "new" catback off so i could weld it. i got it done, painted it and re-installed it. lowered the truck, turned the key and "click"....i threw the charger on it and let it charge....still clicking....removed starter....works good...put truck in first gear, pushed it....no turning at all....motor acts like its locked up.....does anyone have any clue why it runs and starts perfect, then 1.5 hours later it's locked up.....i have never seen this happen before.....please help!!!this is my daily driver....thank you for any help!!!!

I assumesd that you DID disconnect the battery when you were welding on the vehicle. So I would look at the neutral safety switch on the tranny first. Second is to recheck the cable connections to the battery. If you had them disconnected for the welding, then that could be it as well.

Guest aftermidnight
thats what i'm doing tonight...i didn't have time last night cause i had to be in here early today. i hope i'm just a noob and i did something so simple that a 3 month old kid would laugh at....it's been a long weekend....thanks for the quick replies though.... graemlins/thumb.gif

Guest aftermidnight
ok, after working 14 hours on it, i got the final rundown. due to the fact i had it on such an angle, when i shut it off, the crank walked forward and bound up. #4 bearing was bad also. so i pulled the crank and installed new bearings and checked all of the journals with plastigage...all in spec....new pan seal and she starts. then, the second try, the starter took a shit....$155.98 for new starter. so i got it going finally and the overall result was from me being a dumb ass and not lowering the truck before starting it the first time. i was told the 3.9 dodge motors has a little bit of crankwalk movement just like some dsm's so i think that was my boo boo. thank you for the replies.... graemlins/thumb.gif

Guest aftermidnight
yeah, this whole deal was crazy. i think what screwed me was starting and stoping it at such an angle, but who knows...the truck has 105,000 on the clock so i guess it was a weird sign that i should replace the bearings anyway. by the way, does anyone have a 3.9 dodge block for sale...http://www.strokerkits.com has the 4.0 stroker kit for it and i have to do a engine build for school. for now, i hope that steep hills aren't in my future anytime soon....lol.... graemlins/thumb.gif