Title question on possible new (old) bike

MSerfozo

I'm going to look at a 1996 GS500E today for a project bike and I have a question.  The owner is living between OH & MI and has a clear MI title for the bike.  The bike runs but has a couple minor issues that will keep it from passing OH inspection.  The BMV's website indicates that I have 30 days to transfer the title (which requires inspection) but I'm not sure I will be able to get the bike ready that soon nor do I want to have to ride it to get it inspected in December weather.

Is there any way I can buy it today, spend the winter customizing it, and wait until spring for the inspection?  BMV says there will be a penalty if I wait more than 30 days to transfer title.  Does anybody have experience with this?

@MSerfozo  I'm positive that an out-of-state inspection is ONLY to verify the VIN# on the title and the bike match.  The Ohio BMV can do it or you can get it done at any local dealer, auto or moto.  There is no required inspection for operational function unless the title is a salvage title.  If you have even a part-time relationship with your dealer, they will go out of their way to do the inspection the easy way.  I typically take a picture of the VIN on the frame (or headstock) and show that along with the title for the inspection.  I bought a bike in TX several years ago and had the seller send me a pic and I had a local dealer verify the matching VIN without actually having the bike in-state.  Took my paperwork to the BMV and got an OH title and plates for the bike and then picked it up in TX and rode away.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tonik said:

What the hell kind of tires are on it. Look like off road tires.

Yeah, Shinko Trail Masters!  I'm going to turn in into an "On Any Sunday" era looking scrambler or something.

It's a winter project.  I'll likely flip it in the spring unless I end up making it too ugly for anybody to love.

Just ordered a couple of generic fenders and a fork seal kit for it.  Guess I'm committed to this thing now...

I was thinking of painting the fenders a contrasting color because I'm tired of seeing all black bikes.  What about white or aluminum silver color?

I think I'll put the Li battery from my Bandit in this so I can lay it down sideways & hide the battery box better.  Then I'll get a new one for the Bandit.

And what about an upswept end can for the exhaust?  Have to go searching for that...

• 1 month later...