Trade in STi for CTS-V?

Guest STi Guy

Guest STi Guy
Anyone out there have an opinion on the Cadillac CST-V? I took one home yesterday for an extended test drive. I know a Caddy dealer and he said he could get me in a CTS-V for the same payment as my STi. I know there are not many STi owners on this board, but tell me your thoughts. The V is 400hp w/a Vette engine and 6spd. Should I just mod my STi or get the V? I am not picky about image and the performance is so close, I can't decide. The STi is much more of a driver's car, but you can't deny the speed of the V.

Guest STi Guy
I believe the V has an LS6. The clutch is not that great in the V and the shifter action is sloppy, but boy that car sits down at high speeds. Different worlds I guess. Small import speed versus mid size sedan speed.

Guest powers

boy those cars are so very different in so many ways it would be hard to say. I think of an STI as more of a weekend car than the CTS-V. It really depends on what you like in a car.

You could put the CTS on the bottle or put a blower on it and have a very impressive car. While the STI tends to get very expensive at the 500 hp level.

Guest racinbird

CTS-V is a nice car, powerful, quick, dosent have the gas mileage of the F-bodies but regardless, nice. Good warranty, try to find a slightly used one and get the caddy extended 6yr 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. You do get some wheel hop on hard accel though.

Off season isnt too bad either, its got the stabilitrac <sp> system and a pretty good traction control. Plus every option known to man. The new ones even have a built in G-force cornering monitor on the DIC (driver information center)

WARNING: Completely biased opinion inbound on an intercept...

Originally posted by STi Guy:

I believe the V has an LS6. The clutch is not that great in the V and the shifter action is sloppy, but boy that car sits down at high speeds...

LS6 - check, but that means not too moddable on the cheap.

Clutch - is great, you musta got a bad example. It is a dual disc clutch though, eh refinement over brute force ...

Shifter - is better than the 03 Cobra's (*cough* the Cobra shifter sucked eggs *cough*) but then thats not hard to beat. I personally like the position of it, but until I put in the !CAGS skipshfit eliminator (a 30 dollar part and a 2 minute install) I was wrestling with shifts too. There are several shifters coming onto the market for the V, so don't sweat that too much. The V division's aim was to completely eliminate and isolate gear noise which they did, and get it into a good driver's position (not an easy thing in the T56, see Cobra...) which they did. The downside was it required some funky shift linkage mojo. Hence the rubberyness that you may not like.

Tires - gotta mention the tires. If you're buying one by all means buy in the spring and then burn them F1 Supercar EMTs Runflat mofos to the threads over the summer! Donuts work. And lots of em. Then, pour yourself a beer and slap a set of Michelin Sport Pilots on there for winter, cuz I can tell you from direct experience these stock tires SUCK IN THE SNOW. Stabili-wuh? Tracti-huh? BS - you ain't going nowhere with these Goodyear F1s mounted.

Originally posted by STi Guy:

The STi is much more of a driver's car, but you can't deny the speed of the V.

If by driver's car you mean it sucks to be anyone but the 5'9" 160lb driver in it, yeah. lol, JK. But seriously - I'd be willing to bet a V could get itself around a roadcourse faster than an STi. Look at their 1,2 inaugural finish at Sebring, and their tearing up the SCCA SPEED World GT in 04 (three victories, four poles, and five podium finishes). That car's 78% by weight the same as the showroom V. And you're doing so with a MUCH better interior, stereo, options, and well... you don't look like you're riding around in a tracked-up econobox.

Also, not sure how big you are, but for me the CTS-V just fits better. I felt like I was looming over the interior of the subbie. And that sucked. Also, I can take CEOs out for lunch in the V and not embarrass myself. Wanna do say a 10 hour roadtrip to Florida in the STi? Yeah right, don't know about you, but me I make it to about Knoxville or Atlanta or so then I'd get out and shoot it. Right after I put my ride-rattled-out teeth back in.

Also, anytime you want, you can put on the Nanny-me-less-please Competition Mode, or turn the stabiliTrack and TractionControl completely off, and pull one of these mambos:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/944597/Over1G.jpg

...waits for the 1.05G pic from a STi... tongue.gif

Plus, everytime you pull over 1G and then post a pic of it on the net, your member grows by an inch. True story.

[ 16. March 2005, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Mowgli ]

Guest GSRchick714
I think the STi looks nice and all and I'd take one ANY DAY but the Caddy is gonna give you luxury that the STi won't and its just as quick and classier.. just my .02 smile.gif

Originally posted by Mowgli:

Clutch - is great, you musta got a bad example. It is a dual disc clutch though, eh refinement over brute force ...

Actually it's a single disc with a dual mass flywheel. Other then that, I agree with everything you say. Also, don't the '05 models get the LS2?

Right: Dual mass Flywheel not dual disc. Latenight typo brainfart there.

05s are exactly the same as the 04s except they consolidated the XMRadio and Onstar antennas into one.

No mechanicals changes until 07 is the current scuttlebutt. Then maybe either the LS2 or the LS7.

Both cars are great. Both cars look good (IMO).

It truely comes down to what you want out of the car. If it were me I would go with the STI but thats me and I totally love the car (its a love affair mainly jesus and my hotrod. graemlins/nod.gif ). It truely comes down to what you are wanting out of the car. To compare the 2 side by side is a little unfiar both cars are at the top of thier games but they are in 2 completely seperate classes. the STI is econobox that has raw power and love it or hate it looks . The V is refined powerful and meant to compete with BMWs and Mercs.

CTS-V. The Sti looks WWAAAYYY too boy-racer'ish w/ the big ol' rice wing. The hooscoop is borderline but liveable, the wing isn't excusable. The CTS-V is a much more classy, powerful looking car. Of course it costs more too, though; hence for a fair price comparison, I'd much rather have an 05 GTO over an 05 Sti/EVO.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

WARNING: Completely biased opinion inbound on an intercept...

LS6 - check, but that means not too moddable on the cheap.

Shifter - is better than the 03 Cobra's (*cough* the Cobra shifter sucked eggs *cough*) but then thats not hard to beat. I personally like the position of it, but until I put in the !CAGS skipshfit eliminator (a 30 dollar part and a 2 minute install) I was wrestling with shifts too. There are several shifters coming onto the market for the V, so don't sweat that too much. The V division's aim was to completely eliminate and isolate gear noise which they did, and get it into a good driver's position (not an easy thing in the T56, see Cobra...) which they did. The downside was it required some funky shift linkage mojo. Hence the rubberyness that you may not like.

Tires - gotta mention the tires. If you're buying one by all means buy in the spring and then burn them F1 Supercar EMTs Runflat mofos to the threads over the summer! Donuts work. And lots of em. Then, pour yourself a beer and slap a set of Michelin Sport Pilots on there for winter, cuz I can tell you from direct experience these stock tires SUCK IN THE SNOW. Stabili-wuh? Tracti-huh? BS - you ain't going nowhere with these Goodyear F1s mounted.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by STi Guy:

The STi is much more of a driver's car, but you can't deny the speed of the V.

If by driver's car you mean it sucks to be anyone but the 5'9" 160lb driver in it, yeah. lol, JK. But seriously - I'd be willing to bet a V could get itself around a roadcourse faster than an STi. Look at their 1,2 inaugural finish at Sebring, and their tearing up the SCCA SPEED World GT in 04 (three victories, four poles, and five podium finishes). That car's 78% by weight the same as the showroom V. And you're doing so with a MUCH better interior, stereo, options, and well... you don't look like you're riding around in a tracked-up econobox.

Also, not sure how big you are, but for me the CTS-V just fits better. I felt like I was looming over the interior of the subbie. And that sucked. Also, I can take CEOs out for lunch in the V and not embarrass myself. Wanna do say a 10 hour roadtrip to Florida in the STi? Yeah right, don't know about you, but me I make it to about Knoxville or Atlanta or so then I'd get out and shoot it. Right after I put my ride-rattled-out teeth back in.

Also, anytime you want, you can put on the Nanny-me-less-please Competition Mode, or turn the stabiliTrack and TractionControl completely off, and pull one of these mambos:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/944597/Over1G.jpg

...waits for the 1.05G pic from a STi... tongue.gif

Plus, everytime you pull over 1G and then post a pic of it on the net, your member grows by an inch. True story. </font>

As for track times you are comparing a car that is mod to hell for track use. Look at the SCCA Runoffs last year. Yes the V was first in T2, but the STI was classified in T1. If the STI was in T2 is would have been right behind the V and the STI had very little done to it as the team was just getting use to the car. The V was run by the top team and was prepared as well as the rules would allow. Stock for stock, equal drivers the STI should be quicker on a track.

Now take a V and place it in rally and see where it goes ;)

Both cars are great cars, it just depends what you want in one.