Dyno'd My '86 Mustang GT

Wease

At Dynotune Motorsports yesterday, with just an off road h-pipe, Flowmaster catback, BBK underdrive pullies, and 3.73's, I put down 198 RWHP and 271 RWTQ. Not bad for an almost stock, 93K mile, 18 year old, Four-Eyed Fox Body. :cool:

Thanks go out to Brian and Howard, they are very professional and run a great business. Thanks again, fellas... graemlins/thumb.gif

Ha, my freakin' 6 cylnder 3.8 NA car put down more than a v8!! WOOT!

Hehe.. actually, I put down 199.6 hp and 205 tq or so. That was with my 18's on. If I didn't have those though.. I'd be around 205.

Good job though! smile.gif .

Originally posted by Neo:

Is it 'normal' for the 5.0's to have that much torque compared to the HP or is that just what happened with the combo of mods you have?

What would a decent to good running stock one dyno at?

What's stock gearing?

Yes, it's normal for 5.0's to have much more torque that horsepower. Just driving that car is evident. It pulls pretty good up until about 4K then dies off rather quickly.

Brian told me a totally stock '86 5.0 would dyno around 180 RWHP. I don't know if he said anything about the torque, I can't remember. So by putting down nearly 200 with just an off road h-pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, pullies, and the air silencer removed, those are pretty good numbers. Don't forget (you might not know this, but I'm telling you anyway), the '86 was the first year for the 5.0 EFI. It used some crappy head design which robbed the engine of a lot of power up top. Hence the 87 - 93 cars had new heads and were rated at 225/300. I have a free set of those E7 heads (87 - up), and those along with a better intake (Cobra/GT-40) and a CAI will put down 250+ RWHP / 300+ RWTQ. Brian has done this with his '86 GT. I've also seen the thing run 12's on that setup, on snow tires! :eek:

Stock gearing in my car was a pathetic 2.73. You could also have gotten 3.27 gears in the 5 speed. The autos came with 3.08's. smile.gif

Originally posted by mesteno:

Cars that have that kind of rod:stroke ratio, good VE down low and don't spin up very high do that.

Fixed. tongue.gif It's not just V8's, but that's how they seem to generally be designed. If you designed an I-4 or even a 'normal' sized V6 like this you would have such a small amount of HP it wouldn't be useable. That's probably why they generally design V8/larger displacement engines for torque down low and not hp up high and don't design smaller engines to do this, they will still make a useable amount of HP. HP in it's simplest view is a product of how big the engine is and how fast the engine is spinning. I just wasn't aware that the 5.0's, and apparently earlier modular engines were 'torque monsters'. When you put a power adder, esp. turbo or non-centrifugal blower, things change a lot.

"Crappy Heads" seem to mean "bad flow", but that means they will be more restriction down low and make more torque.

I didn't know that about the different heads, first year for EFI and gears on the Fox-Bodies Wease, thanks. graemlins/thumb.gif Actually I know I've asked people numerous times about the gears, but I just forget stuff easily. tongue.gif

Yeah, I knew about Brian's primer car on spray and snow tires, but I didn't know what all was done to it.