Help pick my new car

Guest sixpackstang

Guest sixpackstang

I won't go into why or how, but I got some money from SS and I want to get a new car. I should have around 20,000 for a good down payment and looking at cars in the 35,000 range. These are cars I've been thinking about in no particular order...

05 mustang GT

subaru wrx sti

03/04 mustang cobra

mitsu evo8

nissan 350z

What one would you guys pick and why? What do you like/dislike about them and any others you think I should consider?

If it where me and I still had a daily, Id build a Nova II, 67 Mustang, or a 70 Charger. $20k is just about perfect for any one of those projects.

Now if you are looking for something new and you don't have to put money into it, C5 or a GTO (which neither one are on your list :( ).

What are YOU looking for is the question...

Guest xxxyyyzzz
You're gonna have to drive them. We can shout "'01 Audi S4! '01 Boxster S! '01 Z06! Ten Daewoos!" all day long, but you have to live with the car and you'll want to make sure you're in love with it. Drive them all and see what suits your style the best.

Originally posted by StraightouttaLocash:

'01 Audi S4!

I can personally vouch that this is a nice daily driver and could come in damn near your base budget (20K). I bought my 00' w/53kmi. 10 months ago for $24k. Every option but hands free phone and 'sports package' (alcantara leather on part of the seats and doors and aluminium trim where I have wood). smile.gif

The 01's have been coming out of three-year leases and are starting to come four-year leases so they are at a good price point. It does definitely depend on what you want out of the car. I DID NOT buy this car to mod it, $$$$$$$. Although now that people are buying these at more reasonable prices, mods are starting to come down in price and a lot more DIY stuff is going on. But I have my talon and you have your Mustang to mod.

Originally posted by sixpackstang:

I won't go into why or how, but I got some money from SS and I want to get a new car. I should have around 20,000 for a good down payment and looking at cars in the 35,000 range. These are cars I've been thinking about in no particular order...

05 mustang GT

subaru wrx sti

03/04 mustang cobra

mitsu evo8

nissan 350z

What one would you guys pick and why? What do you like/dislike about them and any others you think I should consider?

Out of those you listed, I would go with the 03/04 Cobra - this one the quickest/fastest/most powerful of the bunch in stock form, and it's probably the easiest and cheapest to mod. BTW, unless you are deadset on competition orange or mystichrome paint, go with the 03 Cobra as opposed to the 04 - they are exactly the same car (minus those two paints that are only available in the 04 models), so it stands to reason that you could get a 03 for cheaper.

I don't like the retro style of the 05 mustang GTs, and they aren't really fast. So, no there.

The STIs and the EVOs are pimp, IMO. I would completely rock one as a daily driver. If you are looking to buy something that you'll drive everyday, then you could still go with the 03/04 Cobra, but, in that department, the STIs and EVOs would get a substantial nod. I also know from experience that the EVOs can be made fast - even as fast as a moderately modded 03/04 Cobra.

The 350Z is also a nice car, aesthetically, but, IMO, it lacks the "umph" for the price. To get that car to seriously compete with the others you listed you'll need to factor in a major power adder (e.g., a supercharger or turbos). So, no there as well.

A car not listed that you may want to consider is a used (2001, 2002) Z06. You can find them with low miles (around 5,000 to 10,000) in that $35K range you mentioned. It has a substantially better power to weight ratio than the 03/04 Cobras. Also, with a 150 shot of spray, the Z06 is borderline insane. Also, I would opt for the Z06 over the C5 - more power and more unique.

You also could consider the C6. However, that car will probably begin around $45K, which is a full $10K higher than the range you wanted to be in.

Guest sixpackstang
Thanks for all the input everyone. Basically whatever car I get will be my daily driver and I'll be selling the car I have now. I might pick up a beater for winter driving. I don't plan on modding it too much other than maybe some basic bolt ons. I really didn't consider a Z06 because I wanted to buy new and thought they would be out of my price range even for a low mileage used one. I think I'm leaning towards the cobra or evo but I'm definately going to go try and test drive a bunch of cars before I decide. Also I don't know much about the Audi S4, care to enlighten me Neo? Could I get a low mileage S4 (no more than like 15-20K) for around $35,000?

Originally posted by sixpackstang:

Also I don't know much about the Audi S4, care to enlighten me Neo? Could I get a low mileage S4 (no more than like 15-20K) for around $35,000?

I'll go over the basics, my general opinion of the car and give you some links for further reading if you would like.

The three basic Audi cars are the 4, 6, and 8. The higher the number the bigger, would be equivilant to a BMW 3 series, 5 series or 7 series. The ‘base’ of these cars would be an A, the sportier model would be the S and the I just shit my panths model is the RS. The didn’t make an S or RS of all models and all years, there was an RS model for the S I have, but only available in a wagon (avant) and only over seas.

It's basically an A4 on crack and steroids at the same time. I'm not sure if the interior is much different, maybe better seats. Much beefier suspension and brakes. 2.7L V6 twin turbo with one small turbo on each bank, puts out 250hp and 258lb-ft of torque. It has that much torque at 1850rpms, this thing is a torque monster (huge, flat torque curve), which makes it nice and easy to drive on a regular basis. Max torque is considerable higher but I've never seen any numbers for this, might be 270-290. I don't even shift out of sixth when I'm anywhere near highway speeds. In fact I often don't shift out of sixth passing cars on two lane roads unless I have to do it very quickly. I get around 23-25mpg. The car is incredible nice on the inside.

They made them in the US from 2000-2002 and imported something like 12,000 total, so you won’t see a ton of them around. They don’t look that much different from an A4 though, so only someone who knows what they are would really know. Here’s a pic for ya, silver like mine.

Here

Sorry, wanted to post a pic, but it won't let me directly link it. Right clikc, copy link location, paste into new browser. Just like mine, but I have US head light housings (orange corners).

http://www.autoseekandsell.com/userimages/IMG_0767.jpg

You can see more pics inside and out here.

Fastest time I've seen stock is 13.8@98, no slouch but not a contender with any of the cars on your list. Without an uber launch and a 'regular drive' expect low 14's easily. I really don't think one would need much more for a car they are going to drive on an every day basis imho. It's plenty fast to put around town and take to the strip or track if you would like to. I've had my car to one track day and one autocross, doing another track day in two weeks and plan to do one more autocross if I can before the end of the season. It held it's own.

The two places I’ve learned all of the info I know about these cars is www.audiworld.com (they have an S4 specific forum), and www.s4biturbo.com. I read quite a bit there before and after I bought these cars.

A good ‘nob’ guide for further reading can be read here. It details some more general info, some of the pitfalls of the car (every car has problems, at least they are well docuemented), and general mod info.

Only place where this can seem dated is in the downpipe category, and Stage 3 info. Some of the fastest people are using what are referred to as ‘piggie pipes’ which are stock down pipes with knocked out cats, pita, but worth it. There is also a Stage 3- which is upgraded turbos without fueling, can run on stock fueling with Stage 1 chip, turbos with all necessary hardware will put you back $2500. Also you can get fueling, which will put you at stage 3 for ~$1k now. As you can see these are considerable cheaper than what that nob guide puts them at, these are where the gains are being made in modifying right now. All aftermarket parts for this car are (were) very overpriced and they are starting to come down right now. But my mod money is better spent towards the Talon right now, as yours probably would be towards the Mustang. I might get a chip down the road, I’m fine with the car for now though. Going to do some reliability/drivability mods, but that’s it.

You can definitely get any year car you want with that low of miles for >$35k. A car like that will also be CPO (certified pre-owned), so will be warranted by Audi for at least to 50k, probably more like 100k or however many years. In fact the most expensive one on Auto Trader right now is going for $35,990. Hell, if you feel alright with buying private, go hop on Audi World and ping to see if anyone is selling their Stage 3 cars, you could get a decent mileage Stage 3 for that much and have a damn fast car. Honestly thats more than you should spend on one of these cars, but at that point, it's just a matter of finding one you don't have to fly to.

Oh, if you want something biger and not as sporty you can check out A6's and All Roads (hybrid SUV looking wagon), some of thoes had the 2.7T's in them. Or even the Avant (wagon) version of the S4, but thoes are rare.

This was a bit long-winded, I apologize. Hopefully though this will give you enough of an idea of what the car is as to decide if you want to look any further. If you have any more questions feel free to post here, PM or IM me. If you’d even like I can come out one night this weekend or even just go out to grab a beer somewhere on a weekday and I can show you the car. I can honestly say I've driven this car for 10 months and ~15kmi. and not regretted it once (well there was this one time, but that's a story for another time), still puts a smile on my face driving it.

Do you want to launch on street tires??

STI or EVO

Do you want to have a noticeable whine and incredible power once in motion?

03 / 04?

Good example (not picking on anyone)

Andy's EVo vs Sam's Vette....

Both make alot of power (~500ish I think)...

One gets it to the ground a tad better...

One traps insanley high...

Oh, and I vote EVO or STI just because its a 4 door smile.gif

Guest sixpackstang
Originally posted by deftapcubus:

if i were you, i'd get a g35 coupe 6mt black on black w/ the gunmetal rims. 280hp, rwd and classy as hell. you can say im biased but i dont give a shit. its still a nice ass car!

The g35 has the 350z motor tuned down a bit (something like 5-10 less hp) probably from a more restrictive exhaust, and they have a slightly longer/wider wheelbase? I've seen them around and thought they were nice but thought they were quite a bit more than the nissan just for carrying the infiniti name?

[ 08. September 2004, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: sixpackstang ]