SVT In Trouble!

Wease

Originally posted by Gas, Grass, or Ass:

they should do it like chrysler does.

buy a gt and then order all the blower stuff from ford motorsport get it dealer installed an still have a warranty.

they better keep something or gm and chrysler are going to boot them right out of the performance market

That's the same way Toyota does everything with TRD

Well that sucks. Sure hope they change their minds. If they ever build a decent looking Mustang again I wouldn't buy anything except a Cobra. I'll do what the second guy in that thread wrote and head out to the Vette or Viper market.

i wasn't going to turn this into a "I hate mustang thread" tho im pretty strong against them but wouldn't it be better to find out first hand if it's going to really be vamped before jumping the gun? Then do more then just fax, fax, write emails, get in touch with people down there make a rukus. Come at it with a bunch of numbers also to dispute the bean counters as well since that's why they are doing it to begin with.

actually it doesn't really matter if they do, cause if the money people at ford don't realize that the cobra and lightning have been extremely important the last few years for ford then it will just bring it back later. I mean come on if car companies haven't noticed the biggest mistake that the big 3 made during the eighties and early nineties is that if they lack in the performance class they will lose sales due to lack of interest then it will only be a short time till the retards who have thought this might save ford some money are fired. then ford will reintroduce it at a later date when they get their head on straight again. If they can't realize that they have had a firm grasp on the sports car market since gm pulled the fbody line, and dodge didn't really have a afforded rear wheel drive sports car. I am surprised this is even going on with the sucessful sales the mustang has had even when the fbody was around, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't just some ploy to get some buzz going throughout the svt community. And really I have a hard time believing that whoever is in charge making this discision at ford would see the major error that putting the svt line on hold would be, they have a major chance of capturing a lot of buyers here if they keep going in the right direction

I heard about this a couple weeks ago. I do think it is a bad move for Ford. They need to keep the bar high with the performance cars both Chevy and Dodge are coming out with in the next couple years. This will come back to bite Ford very quickly if they don't correct this soon.

Um Ford and GM made money hand over fist in the 90s on SUVs. Its Porsche and Mercedes that came to that party after the band went home. So they made the "right" decisions for $$$ in the 90s.

But, it looks like performance is back as a sales driver (which is RARE - the last time that was true was the mid-60s).

SVT going away isn't without precedence - Ford did the same thing to SVO in the late 80s, so this being true wouldn't surprise me.

Now thats I've spouted off and shot from the hip, let me go actually read that link...

EDIT: Read it, interesting quote there. Doesn't clear anything up about SVT et al, but is of interest for Cobra folks:

I work at a ford plant in MI, we are making cobra parts so I don't know how some of the people on the forum are getting there info

in fact we just ran them on thursday 10/22/04 around 800 slip yokes and drive shafts, they are diffrent from the mustangs they are alot beefier because the new cobras will have 405 horse and the mustangs 300 and I ask the formen how come we had to gage ever single part he said they are for the new cobras and ford wants them to be perfect.

[ 27. October 2004, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Mowgli ]

I found the comments about the warrenty work being VERY costly to Ford rather interesting. Back in 60's when Dodge WAS it on the dragway's across this country, the factory build drag cars, and these came with a basic interior (drivers seat) a floor mat, no back seats, fiberglass fenders and hood, and *** car came off the truck in hotrod primer black. THey were Darts and superbees I believe. The driveline was a 383 or a 426 Hemi, four speed with an 11 inch clutch, 4.10 rear with a very tight limited slip rear. The only thing they didn't have was a huge cam for ease of moving them on and off the vehivle transport. Basically you bought the car, the dealer had the race cam in the parts room. You took it home, installed the cam and lifters, caged it and it ran 10's. It even had the doors gutted of the window transmisions, a leather strap pulled the window (plexglass) up and you snapped it so it would stay up. Even the windshield was plexi.

And *** window sticker clearly indicated that the car was "Designed for accleration compitition and had NO warrenty of any kind" Ford would be intelligent to consider this route, the car price could be decreased, and it be sold for performance use. With that being the case, they would not need to worry about buyers modding *** motor, blowing it, unmodding it and trying to get it repaired under warrenty.

Just a thought.