Sub 12k cars....?

Bam

Ok, I am going to buy a car this coming Monday, the 21st. I want to spend NO MORE than $12,000 and I NEED it to be relatively new, and FOUR DOORS. I don't want a large car, but one with a decent backseat.

These are what I've been looking at...

01/02 VW Passat/Jetta/Golf - Both TDI and 1.8t's.

00+ Maxima's

Volvo S40's

With that same idea, what do you guys recommend?

Quick question, I'd never heard of a Nissan Sentra Spec-V before earlier today, but it sounds like a good deal. 2002, 30k miles, white, 6spd, asking $8500 OBO. Pros/cons of this ride? Quick?

Thanks,

Look forward to suggestions...

Matt

The Spec-V is the top of the Sentra food chain. It's got a 180hp engine, it's torquey, handles well, comes with an LSD, 6 speed, and has a nicer interior. That sounds like a good deal for that car. I took one for a short drive and it could definatly be fun to drive daily. Definately a step up from a ZX3. Make sure you have anything checked out before you buy it.

That price range would also include Grand Prix's and Grand Am's. The pro's of those would be they're pretty reliable and have nicer interiors then a lot of cars in that range. I'm not really talking about the dash as much as I mean standard features.

An 00 Maxima would be a good choice as well, but I'd stay away from the Jetta/Passat due to repair costs.

The Nissan Spec V doesn't have a cheap or chinzy sound/feeling does it? I mean not that that is bad, but since this will be my first car loan, I want to have a nice quality car that will last me a good couple years. Thanks for the tips guys, anything helps.

Originally posted by BAM6I4:

The Nissan Spec V doesn't have a cheap or chinzy sound/feeling does it? I mean not that that is bad, but since this will be my first car loan, I want to have a nice quality car that will last me a good couple years. Thanks for the tips guys, anything helps.

The Spec V is cool as shit. I've driven one, and they handle great, have sufficent power, and the interior is pretty damn nice.

They have mesh 'racing' seats, some nice aluminum accents, and the one I drove had a factory 300 watt RF stereo system.

And for that price, Id say it's a pretty good deal. It seems that for what you are looking for, that would be the car I'd choose.

-Marc

Thanks for trying on that GTI, but as stated above, I could not handle the 2.slow nor the 2 door. I have a baby girl on the way and I will be keeping this car that I buy for a good while, so I might as well buy a 4 door. The Spec V definitely seems like the cheapest car I've checked out, which isn't bad, I'm just wondering how it will hold up at 75k miles. I usually only keep cars 2-3 years, but drive 20-30k miles per year, so I need a reliable car.

Well I'm going to go drive a 00 Lincoln LS 5spd, a passat 1.8t 5spd, and the Spec V tomorrow and I guess we'll go from there.

Thanks guys

Hmm, a suby. I'll check those out, my dad's trying to pressure me into buying some NEW, so he wants me to check out the Mazda 3/6? I guess they have some nice rebates on them now, any feedback on it? I am driving quite a few cars today, thanks guys. I'll let you know what I buy.

Check out a Jetta TDI. That would be your most economical choice since you are having a kid soon.

50 miles per gallon, cheap insurance, and being a diesel, it hardly ever has engine problems.

Volvo would be something else to look at, I think they have some AWD cars.

I would like a TDI, and would rock it hardcore, the only problem is that I have heard that its not good for lots of "little short trips around town" I.E. It's more of a hwy car, and not meant to be started and driven for 15 min, but more long term sorta things. I've seen good power out of a VW TDI, best I've seen is around 175whp, 340wtq. That's crazy sweet and would put a smile on my face with that much torque. Can anyone dismiss what I've heard so I can go back to looking at TDI's again, lol.

Go for the Maxima, and if you do, don't go to Germain Nissan on morse. I've found that there prices can easily be inflated over other dealers. The other car to consider is an Accord EX V6, has a good amount of engine power, and the back seat has alot of room. I test drove a Spec-V at Germain Nissan and they are really nice and should be dependable, usually Nissan's are.

Sentra Spec-Vs are pretty sweet, my friend has one

look at 2001-04 S40s, you can get them pretty cheap and there is nothing safer in its class...its a turbo 2.0L making 160bhp and 177lb/ft of torque, but a chip gets you 200bhp and 240lb/ft and a turbo upgrade from a European S40 T4 gets you 250bhp and over 300lb/ft of torque. The suspension is actually very very similar to that in the Mitsu EVO V and witht the right tires is actually very nimble. Much more comfortable than a Sentra.

check out www.S40concepts.net for more info

Spec V is sold. :(

I drove a Jetta 1.8t and it was alright, but pretty stripped.

I drove a 2000 Passat V6 4motion, which is the AWD one. Very nice, tiptronic, black, heated leather, moonroof, loaded up, 65k miles, and I talked them down to $13k out the door. So I like that alot, but I called my INS and got a quote, $3500/year for full coverage. I guess it has a high point rating for repair.

I also found and I'm going to drive a 2000 Volvo S40, it has 64k, private owner, silver w/ leather, loaded, asking $10,500 obo.

I drove a 2000 Maxima and wasn't all that impressed, it didn't even have leather and the inside looked sorta cheap, no sunroof either.

What else should I check out? I'm running out of ideas, lol.

Originally posted by RoadRage:

Go for the Maxima, and if you do, don't go to Germain Nissan on morse. I've found that there prices can easily be inflated over other dealers. The other car to consider is an Accord EX V6, has a good amount of engine power, and the back seat has alot of room. I test drove a Spec-V at Germain Nissan and they are really nice and should be dependable, usually Nissan's are.

I still say check out an Accord. I know 2 mths ago when I got my Civic, I saw many used Accord's for right around that price range. One I remember was a 99 EX, 45,000 miles, sunroof, cloth interior, CD player, 11,995. If your interested in something like that, go to Honda East. I know a guy there who will get you the best deal on a Honda I found anywhere. graemlins/thumb.gif