Gas question

SPLN SUX

Originally posted by pgsrt-4:

I don't think he's trying to turn anything into a holy war, I think you're the one whos getting uptight. graemlins/chillpill.gif Anyway it's just gas.

It seems to me he is trying to make some war.. Just b/c he used to work at BP and has to be right.

Originally posted by Jon:

It seems to me he is trying to make some war.. Just b/c he used to work at BP and has to be right.

I believe not only did he work at a BP, but his father owns one.

Well, I am not going to get into the flame war about BP. I will say this, BP has been fined for selling gasoline that did NOT meet the octane rating that was indicated at the pumps. Others may or may not have had this problem, I just know that BP has for sure.

As far as the comment about ALL Duke and Duchess stations being owned by BP is not 100% correct. There are a few that are not, they are the ones that sell Ammoco fuel. I know nothing about Ammoco other than the fuel is sold at the Duke stations, it may be a subsiterary of BP for all I know.

Saying that ALL gasoline is the same is sort of like saying that Coke and Pepsi are the same. It's carbonated water with sugar, carmel color and cola flavoring.

While pump gas may all go though the same lines, and get it's additive by manufacture at this end of the line. The additives are KEY in motor fuel. Gasoline is cracked at a specific octane, and it's not very high, any increase is throught the additives, and the additive blends are what set RON and MON (Research Octane Number and Motor Octane Number)

the additives also set burn rate, percent of Oxygen in the fuel and soot and carbon levels during combustion.

And then there is BP's icegaurd, which is nothing more than ethanol, or some solvent. I realize that someone commented that the icegaurd additive gummed up the throttle blades on an older vehicle. I will have to disagree with this, not that the throttle blades were gummed up, but by the idea that it was the icegaurd additive its self gumming it up. It wasn't the ice gaurd additive that was gumming it up but rather the shit that it worked loose from the fuel system and carried into the throttle body BY the solvent. Remember that ice gaurd is a solvent. And solvents, are good for several things, water displacement is one, removing gums, glues, and desolving crud is another. Here in lies the problem. The solvents, start to reduce (break up chemically) the buildups in the fuel system and the decaying rubber hoses, just like injector cleaner does. Then it gets loose and flows into through the fuel system until it either gets caught in a passage too small for it to fit (typically the injector) or it gets pushed out the injector, and enters the air stream, at which point, the solvents flash off, and redeposit the gunk on a different surface (the throttle blades). It's actually like painting. Paint contains solvents that keep the paint in a suspented liquid state, then when applied to a surface. The paint dries, but the actual drying is the solvents flashing off (evaporating) and the paint hardens. So you are in a sence painting the throttle plates with gunk. This is the reason that you should NOT put injector cleaned into a car that has never had it done previously and has high miles. It will make matters worse EVERY time.

Back to the gasoline stuff.

Gas, right from the refinery, would quite possibly not even run in your beater, all the secret 11 herbs and spices are what makes it what it is. And everyones blend is different. And some blends SUCK!

This is NOT to be confused with racing fuel, which is cracked different at the refinery and goes out a TOTALLY different door at the refinery.

But the blends in VP (who have a BUNCH of different blends) CAM2, Certified Turbo Blue, Sunoco's several blends of racing gas, are ALL very much different as well, but also start as a different base line fuel and then get additives to make them into what they are.

This is the reason that they don't just put a shit load of Tolulene (120 octane) in pump gas and call it racing fuel. And BTW, for all the jokers that want to claim that they have a 150 or 200 octane rated fuel, don't bother, the highest octane ever reached with the RON/MON*2 method was 121 and that was a 50/50 mix of tolulene and TEL (Tetra Ethel Lead).

Hope this helps