Factory Freak

SPLN SUX

Ive determined i have a factory freak.

Volvo rates the S40 at 170bhp/177lbft @ 8.5psi...

After dynoing mine today, im convinced i have a good one.

My best pull was 160.5 fwhp/206.4 fwtrq spiking 13psi and falling off to 10psi. For stock numbers, im very pleased.

Originally posted by Tenzig:

I need a volvo, I'll trade ya both my cars for yours. ;)

I dont know about the trade, but i dont think you would be disappointed with one. I havent been dissaopinted thus far and im very picky about how a car is put together.

Guest FBody Addict

i don't think it is a freak, as much as i think that sometimes manufacturers will build an engine with the specs about/damn near perfect, and they build an engine with the specs horribly off (worst possible engine that could come off their line and still pass a quality control check) and a few more somewhere in the middle, dyno them, and average the hp, and being a volvo the hp is probably +/- 10hp, unlike say chevy who may have engines +5 /-20 hp

does this make any sense to anyone but me

edit did not read clearly enough, that was 177trq@8.5lbs and yours was 200+@13lbs, so that sounds normal

Originally posted by Buck531:

Lumina > you.

Sorry, had to.. I'm still fucking pumped.

Oh.. btw, thanks for the pizza.. I have MASSIVE heart burn now.. graemlins/thumbsdown.gif:D

lol. No problem on the pizza.

edit did not read clearly enough, that was 177trq@8.5lbs and yours was 200+@13lbs, so that sounds normal
Well... thats 177trq AT THE CRANK, this is 206trq AT THE WHEELS. Were talking about a 60 lb-ft difference and like 20 extra hp.

Either way, its way more than it should be and im happy as hell. :D

Originally posted by Tulo:

What do you mean fall off to 13?

If you run a turbo far out of it's efficiency range it will not hold the boost you set it at all the way to redline. It will be fine at lower rmps because you aren't flowing too much air. But at higher RPMS it cannot keep up that boost because the airflow would be too high. This happens alot on stock turboed cars because companies have a tendency to put small turbos on them due to turbo spool-up time issues (what most people equate as lag, but that's not what it's really called). That turbo is probably pushing alot of hot air.

Some companies will play with the boost levels up top or down low for different reasons. They might start low then up it at a certain RPM, this also makes the car feel like less of a turbo car. This is the way the WRX's are setup. Then some companies will limit the boost up high due to compressor efficiency issues and/or fuel. I’m going to guess that his car doesn’t do this though and it’s simply that he is trying to push the turbo too hard. I’m not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, he might have done the research that says the car can handle it fine. There are a lot of places that could be the weak link on any car that would make me err on the side of caution as to why to not do that though. Especially when it’s my daily I’m making payments on. E.G. my S4. Chip=$600, 40-60hp gains and 50-70ft-lbs. BUT there is evidence that the stock turbos can fail at stock boost levels, and fail more often when chipped. I’ll keep it stock for now and put that money into my Talon. This is all while other wise keeping stock reliability and gas mileage, and it gets rid of a few nasty things like a speed limiter and the throttle delay (these are TBW cars and the stock programming has a half second throttle ‘delay’).

Why wasn't it boosting like it should have stock? I'd figure that out before I went to uping the boost.

• 2 weeks later...

You're making more torque because the engine is rated for the power it made on an engine dyno and you're putting that power through a torque converter. Some of that can probably be attributed to the boost spike down low too.

Let me get this straight: You turned the boost up 7 psi with a MBC and no other mods?? Get ready to pick your engine up off the freeway.

Can you post the curves?

p.s. Learn how to spell in your sig.

Originally posted by Orion:

man, you drive a volvo!

thats like saying "i date the hottest retarded chick in columbus."

BLEH!

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/141/bleh.jpg